Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
Ham Radio Hotspot “So this is a very popular question among my audience, due to my recent videos explaining some hotspots and reflectors. Hopefully you get some information from this video, and give me a thumbs up on the effort.” Read more
- US ARDF Team Tops its Own World Championships Medal Count in Korea
- New Book, Energy Choices for the Radio Amateur, Now Shipping
- Ham Radio Anthology : Antennas 1973-1975
- Introduction to the SOTABeams Wolfwave
- Plain Brown Wrapper : AmateurLogic 94
- Custom Antenna Insulator online .STL creator
- Valerie Hotzfeld, NV9L, is “Amateur of the Year,” as Hamvention® Announces Award Winners
- ET3AA – Ethiopia
- Get Started with APRS for only $30!
- The Dead Sea – 4X429DS
- New Technical Requirements in Bulgaria
- FEMA Region 10 to Conduct Monthly Interoperability Communications Exercises during 2017
- Petition for Rulemaking Asks FCC to Create a New 8-Meter Amateur Band
- HOW MANY HAMS? Demographics
- Scorpion SA6-160 – Mobile Antenna 80 to 6 m
- SWR Simplified [ ARRL PODCAST ]
- Russian WW MultiMode Contest
- A Note to Members from ARRL President Rick Roderick, K5UR
- Telegraphers of the Civil War — Book
- Review of the MFJ-1835 Cobweb Antenna
- DXLog.net – contest logging software – 2.4.1 is now available
- Big Island ARES Districts Activate to Support Possible Hurricane Response in Hawaii
- Dealing With Noise in HF Mobile Installations
- Elad FDM-DUO: now available in camouflage!
- Ask Dave 12: Radiosport!
- Stealthy Solar Storm & Dark Holes on the Sun: Solar Storm Forecast 10-16-2016
- “A Christmas Story,” Jean Shepherd K2ORS introduces ARRL CW practice tape
- A Ham Radio for Makers – The RS-UV3 lets you build your own Arduino- or Raspberry Pi–based radio
- Pennsylvania Radio Amateur Dies in Tower Installation Mishap
- OZ7IGY 40 MHz Beacon Shifts to Next Generation Beacons Platform
- Amateur Radio Volunteers Supporting Emergency Communication Following Flooding in Malaysia and Thailand
- Barrett 4050 HF SDR Transceiver
- EXPERIMENTAL SWRX
- Some Amateur Radio Preparations Under Way for Hurricane Irma
- HamSphere 4.0 Mobile APP
- KBØSA at Scout Camp
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151