Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
49th ALESSANDRO VOLTA RTTY DX CONTEST www.contestvolta.it The SSB and RTTY Club of COMO and the A.R.I. (Associazione Radioamatori Italiani) are pleased to announce the details of the 48th “Alessandro VOLTA RTTY DX CONTEST”. This contest is organized to incre... Read more
- Raspberry Pi Will Run LOTW’s TQSL by K0PIR
- C81AK – Mozambique
- G1 (MINOR) GEOMAGNETIC STORMS LIKELY ON 23 APRIL 2016
- FCC Updates Notice on Amateur Radio Operation in CEPT Countries
- Palstar LA-1K – 1 kw LDMS Solid state amplifier
- New Russian PA. 2000 Watts . Liquid cooling. Weighs only 14 pounds!
- HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? THE WORLD OF QRP OPERATION
- Washington National Guard Communications Exercise Involves Use of 60 Meters
- YouKits HB1B upgrade
- InnovAntennas XR7 & XR7C
- WWV 25 MHz Signal Swapped to Circular Polarization, Reception Reports Invited
- JOTA-JOTI Reports More Than 2,500 Registered for October 20-22 Event
- CHA EMCOMM III Base – 3.5-30 MHz
- Visit to DX Engineering
- Adjusting an Antenna Tuner : Ham Nation 193
- Amateur Radio Band Plan [ VIDEO ]
- Kosovo is not a member of the International Union of Amateur Radio
- Real-time band conditions
- CS108G+ HF Radio [ Pre-Order ]
- SKYWARN Recognition Day is Saturday, December 2
- Chinese Lunar-Orbit Amateur Radio Payload Could Launch this Spring
- ARISS Moves Closer to Launching New Radio System to Space Station
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society Honors Ulrich Rohde, N1UL
- Utah Group Puts Broadband-Hamnet to Work for Food Project
- ACOM 1010 160-10m amplifier
- Log4OM 1.36.0 Released
- AA-230ZOOM Antenna Analyzer/NANUK Case Combos DXE-230ZOOM-905L
- Kenwood TS-890 – Instruction Manual
- The Most TactiCool BaoFeng Antenna Ever!
- Ham Radio Operators on standby for emergency monsoon communications
- MK-4 Heavy Duty – 25′ Maximum Height Fiberglass Masts
- Heil PR 10 Set
- OSCAR-11 / UoSAT-2 Celebrates 30 Years in Orbit
- International Telecommunication Union Accepts EURAO as a Sector Member
- Ham-Astronauts Engaging in Series of Spacewalks; Two Heading Home Soon
- IARU Region 1 Monitoring System Reports Disappearance of Two 40-Meter Broadcast Intruders
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151