Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
The SA Sprint Contest, is a ham radio competition that aims at improving the operating skills of its participants, and also provide the ground rules for a fun event by preventing stations from parking endlessly on a frequency throughout the operating time. We have based... Read more
- ATTACK of the ZOMBIE SATELLITE : Run radio hams , run!
- NANUK Cases now available at DX Engineering
- What is PSKMail ?
- GigActiv GA3005 Ultra Wideband
- Hurricane Watch Net Announces Plans as Hurricane Michael
- Shortwave Listening with your HF Transceiver
- Yasme Foundation Designates Supporting Grant, Excellence Award Recipients
- Station Master DeLuxe – microHam
- Ham Radio University 2015
- Alaska’s HAARP Facility Once Again Open for Business
- ARRL August UHF Contest is August 1-2
- W1ZR Wins August QST Cover Plaque Award
- ZF2CI , ZF8/ZF2CI & ZF9/ZF2CI – Cayman Islands
- Anytone AT-D878UV Dual Band DMR HT with APRS
- N1MM Plus Latest Updates – Version 1.0.4946
- Xiegu X5105 HF+6m Transceiver [ First Pictures and Video ]
- Certificate City of São Paulo – Special Ham Event by LABRE SP
- Reminder: FT8 “DXpedition Mode” Test Set for March 6
- Turn any headphone into a high-performance communications headset
- WSJT-X Version 1.9.0-rc4
- FCC Readies for Hurricane Dorian
- ARRL Comments on Technological Advisory Council Spectrum Policy Recommendations
- If we can track phones, why not planes? AirAsia Flight QZ 8501
- NCDXF is pleased to announce a $50,000 grant to the Intrepid-DX Group to activate South Sandwich and South Georgia Islands in 2016.
- Six Way Switch Box -bhi 1024
- The American Legion Amateur Radio Club : Ham Nation 182
- Compact Power Supply for Elecraft Radios
- AOR DV1 3GHz 100kHz-1300MHz, SDR Digital Voice Receiver
- V63KI Micronesia
- Process for applying for remote invigilation exams – RSGB
- 6 Meter/50mhz Magnetic Loop For FT-8 And More
- The Legendary G5RV Antenna – ARRL The Doctor is In podcast
- USPS Announces Postage Rate Increase – Starts April 26, 2015
- DX News — ARRL DX Bulletin #48
- Connecting Antenna Systems : Ham Nation 195
- Momobeam MB17 10/15/20/40 m – Yagi Antenna
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151