Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
Dear friends and colleagues! The expedition team of Russian Robinson – Vasily (R7AA), Vasily (RA1ZZ), Alexander (RA3AV) and Alex (RW3QNZ) is glad to announce that we are on the final stage of the preparation for the expedition to the Islands of the Barents sea, the is... Read more
- Hungary Regains Access to 60 Meters
- MFJ-1835H Cobweb Antenna Review ( High Power version 1.5kW)
- THE FIRST RADIO SETS: A SPARK GAP AND A COHERER
- GA-450 Portable Active Small Loop HF Antenna
- V85/VE3LA Brunei
- Amateur Radio – Hurricane Katrina interview [ Video ]
- The realities of a North Korean amateur radio activation…. by N6PSE
- HAARP 2 Meter Antenna Review By M0OGY
- FlexRadio Systems ® and NW Digital Radio Offer D-STAR Compatible Solution
- ARRL Seeks Opinions Concerning Possible New Entry Level License
- US Ham-Astronaut, Russian Cosmonaut Safe in Wake of Soyuz Launch Failure
- Got Amplifier. Do I Need Bigger Coax?
- Xiegu G90 Unboxing
- TY2SN – Benin
- VP2ERM Anguilla 2015
- Nuts and Volts Magazine Launches New Ham Radio Column by Ward Silver, N0AX
- New release of Log4OM V. 1.23
- Amateur Radio-Carrying D-Star One CubeSat among Spacecraft Apparently Lost
- TRI-BAND MOBILE ANTENNAS – NGC – Comet Antennas
- WebDX 3.0 is Coming….
- VK0EK Dayton 2015 Interview with KK6EK
- WW1USA the Amateur Radio voice of the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial
- Keep Antennas in the Clea
- RTTY Contesting Survey – 2015
- How Solar Indicies Work: SFI, SN, A & K
- TY2CD Benin
- Radio Club of America Honors 2015 Fellows, Icom America’s Ray Novak Among Award Recipients
- Quantun QP-2100 VHF and UHF
- Salvation Army Seeks Amateur Radio Operators for Possible Caribbean Deployment
- Review of The Sidekar, CW device for the KX3
- Review of QRP Labs QCX QRP Radio
- LimeSDR: Flexible, Next-generation, Open Source Software Defined Radio
- Reacting to Capacitance, Inductance, Resistance, Frequency
- Radio operators vital in disaster response
- SMΩRF RF Vector Power Meter by microHAM [ Video ]
- Activation of linear transponder on EO-79
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151