Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
A 3U Cube Satellite, dubbed the HuskySat-1, is being developed by an interdisciplinary team at the University of Washington and will be launched into Low Earth Orbit to become the first amateur satellite from Washington state. HuskySat-1 CubeSat This CubeSat will demons... Read more
- A Look at Vintage Ham Radio Gear Hamvention Flea Market [ Video ]
- China Plans Lunar-Orbiting Amateur Radio Satellites
- 4U1UN Reactivation Continue
- HF SDR Transceiver RS-918 mcHF
- Add a Receive-Only Antenna to Your HF Rig
- Introducing QCX-mini 5W CW transceiver!
- Kidderminster radio ham harassed someone on the airwaves
- New RFinder B1, Advanced VHF/UHF 4 Watt DMR/Analog Ham Radio Smartphone, NO CODE PLUGS NEEDED!!
- New firmware for ICOM, D-STAR compatible handy device and 6 mobile devices will be released simultaneously
- Florida ARES Group Publishes After-Action Book
- DXing and DXpeditions by K0IR [ Video ]
- Installing Your Ham Radio In Your Vehicle, Tips And Tricks For Mobile
- Hurricane Watch Net Set to Activate as Gordon Courts Hurricane Status
- TYT MD-2017 Dual Band DMR
- VisAir QRP
- ZL1BPU Wins June QST Cover Plaque Award
- Restraint Urged in Response to 2-Meter Reallocation Proposal
- V31TA – Belize
- Additional ARRL Books Now Available as E-Books
- India Launches Amateur Radio Satellites
- Transmit digital television signals over Qatar Oscar 100 satellite
- Canada Day 2020 Contest Under Way
- The Sun’s Ring of Fire Eclipse & Sundiving Comets | Space Weather News
- All about the Grayline!
- Seth’s Ham Radio on NBC
- ARRL Audio News – December 2, 2016 [ PodCast ]
- Broadband K4KIO Hex-Beam
- Morse Code Encoder/Decoder using LinkIt One
- 4X67TT Special Call – Celebration of Israel 67th Independance
- FCC Announces Plans for Partial Government Shutdown
- Yaesu FT-4XR / FT-4VR : ANNOUNCEMENT
- The Telegraph – 11 Innovations That Changed History
- CQ World Wide DX CW Announced Operations: 2015
- Youth Forum to Feature Many Young, Talented Speakers
- Hungary Regains Access to 60 Meters
- SAQ, Sweden’s Alexanderson Alternator, Announces Scheduled Christmas Eve Transmission
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151