Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
New from Yaesu, the FTDX-10 HF Transceiver – today I’ve invited Sean, W9FFF, from the Ham Radio Dude channel to go though all of the menu selections of this radio and talk about several of its features along with items we would like to see improved upon. Read more
- Yaesu M1 – Desktop Microphone [ Video ]
- A Peek Inside The New Icom AH-705 Tuner
- Yaesu FTdx101D [ VIDEO ]
- WAEDC CW RAW Scores 2015
- Wouxun KG-UV9D
- ARRL Audio News – November 4, 2016
- In retirement, Nobelist takes up moon bouncing
- Bitcoin to the Moon: LABRE write to ANATEL
- 6M HO LOOP M2 ( 50MHz )
- Scorpion SA6-160 – Mobile Antenna 80 to 6 m
- ICOM IC-9700 Review and Full Walk Through
- Big Victory For Ham Radio vs Calfire
- FAA Reauthorization Act Language Serves to Exclude Vast Majority of Amateur Radio Towers
- Cooperative Effort Under Way to Resolve Potential 70-Centimeter Interference Issue
- 6 Must Have Amateur Radio Apps!
- Your First HF Transceiver, Advice from Jim Heath W6LG
- HamShield for Arduino (VHF/UHF transceiver)
- DX Engineering Acquires Bencher Skyhawk and Skylark Antennas, Plus Butternut Antennas
- JOTA – More Ham Radio Growth Seen In Eastern Nevada
- Kids learn about amateur radio , a hobby that can serve a need
- Operating Procedures During Hurricane Irma
- HRN 217: HOAs Oppose Parity – ARRL Fights Back on HamRadioNow
- Planning Your Contest Station by Craig Thompson K9CT
- New Book, Energy Choices for the Radio Amateur, Now Shipping
- Universal DIY Carbon VHF Yagi Antenna
- Indoor SteppIR Yagis by AE9K
- AMSAT-UK International Space Colloquium 2016
- ARRL Board Okays Changes to DXCC Program, VHF and Above Contesting Rules
- ARRL Lifelong Learning Manager to Keynote Ham Radio University 2020 in January
- Antenna Chameleon F-LOOP VS Chameleon P-LOOP
- Antenna 1/2-wave, 5-Band HF Cobweb Antenna – MFJ-1835 Time Lapse Video
- The K7RA Solar Update
- Shark Antennas, 48″ 2m/6m/70cm 5/8 Wave Magnet Mount Antenna Review/Update
- Team USA Heads to World Amateur Radio Direction Finding Championships
- Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) Going Out of Business
- SV2/YL7A – Mt Athos – CANCELED ?
Warning: file_get_contents(https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=https%3A%2F%2Fqrznow.com%2Fstraight-key-night-is-a-new-years-day-tradition%2F): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/qrznow/public_html/wp-content/themes/goodnews5/framework/functions/posts_share.php on line 151