John Langridge, KB5NJD/WG2XIQ, reports that “extremely rare polar openings” have been occurring the past three nights on 630 meters between a number of North American stations and Rolf Torvik, LA2XPA, in Norway.
“This path is straight through the auroral oval, and quiet geomagnetic conditions have allowed signals to traverse the polar regions,” Langridge told ARRL. He said LA2XPA has “an amazing station on an isolated island and is using 500- to 700-meter long Beverages. It’s quite remarkable.”
He said these openings also appear to be happening on 160 meters to a lesser extent, “based on a number of reports.”
While Amateur Radio does not yet have access to 630 meters in the US, several enthusiasts of the nether regions, such as Langridge, have FCC Part 5 Experimental licenses or are part of the ARRL 600 Meter Experiment (WD2XSH). Langridge has been chronicling the activity on his blog.
- Antenna DUO8 15-20 separate feed – Momobeam
- HexBeam SP7IDX Technology assembly
- Big Wheel Antenna for 2m, 70cm and 6m
- JVP Antennas back to the market!
- Jim W6LG Uses A Short Dipole To Demonstrate How A Dipole Functions
- The PackTenna Mini 9:1 Random Wire Antenna Antenna
- Antenna Yagi MB8 15-20 Separate Feed line – MomoBeam
- How I designed the Nebula eXtreme Multiband 18m DX Commander Antenna
- X700HNA Dual band Base / Repeater Antenna
- Jim W6LG Shows How He Connects 2 HF Antennas at the Same Time
“Is the NanoVNA suitable to measure/adjust a typical antenna duplexer? This video compares the NanoVNA-H4 and the SAA-2N VNAs with a professiona... Read more
According to a report in The New Indian Express, amateur radio operators in Kerala state have joined the fight against COVID-19. The newspaper said th... Read more
Most encyclopedias say that the first transatlantic television transmissions took place via the Telstar I satellite in 1962, but TV images actu... Read more
Kuwaiti telecom regulator CITRA, has made available a new secondary Amateur Radio allocation of 5,351.5 – 5,366.5 kHz to Kuwaiti radio amateurs. The K... Read more
Stealth 2 Meter Copper J-Pole for your HOA – AF5DN 0 Read more
The FCC has announced that rule changes detailed in a lengthy 2019 Report and Order governing RF exposure standards go into effect on May 3, 2021. The new rules do not change existing RF exposure (RFE) limits but do require that stations in all services, including amate... Read more
- March 2021 Volunteer Monitor Program Report
- ARISS USA Gets IRS 501(c)(3) Recognition
- Contests on QO-100 allowed
- How to use an automatic antenna tuner with a Yaesu FT-891 (LDG Z11 Pro II)
- Online Comm Academy 2021 is set for April 10 – 11
- World Amateur Radio Day (WARD) 2021 is Sunday, April 18
- Dayton Hamvention Announces Hamvention Weekend Activities
- Letter To The ARRL: Ham Radio Is More Than A Great Hobby And You Should Know That.
- Cooperative Effort Under Way to Resolve Potential 70-Centimeter Interference Issue
- No get-together in 2021: Ham Radio exhibition once again suspended