John Langridge, KB5NJD/WG2XIQ, reports that “extremely rare polar openings” have been occurring the past three nights on 630 meters between a number of North American stations and Rolf Torvik, LA2XPA, in Norway.
“This path is straight through the auroral oval, and quiet geomagnetic conditions have allowed signals to traverse the polar regions,” Langridge told ARRL. He said LA2XPA has “an amazing station on an isolated island and is using 500- to 700-meter long Beverages. It’s quite remarkable.”
He said these openings also appear to be happening on 160 meters to a lesser extent, “based on a number of reports.”
While Amateur Radio does not yet have access to 630 meters in the US, several enthusiasts of the nether regions, such as Langridge, have FCC Part 5 Experimental licenses or are part of the ARRL 600 Meter Experiment (WD2XSH). Langridge has been chronicling the activity on his blog.
“A Necessarily Incomplete Survey of Amateur Radio HF Unity Gain Antennas–a look at the many, many antennas used in ham radio that have about the same gain as a good dipole. I select the antenna to be used in the Reference Station.” Read more
- Introducing the SDA 2000 OptimizIR
- Antenna Rotator System ARS-USB Azimuth
- 4EL 40M @ 190′ [ VIDEO ]
- Dual Band Moxon Antenna 10m/6m
- Comet Antenna – Full Catalog (.pdf)
- RigExpert AA-54 – HF Antenna Analyzer (0.1 to 54 MHz)
- DXplorer system providing facilities for on-air antenna system testing and comparison
- Home Brew Lightning Disconnector [ Video ]
- Super Broad Band Stainless Steel Ham Antenna
- 6-160 Meter Alpha S9 Spun Fiberglass Antenna
WRC-19 entered its final week with effort aimed at pinning down the remaining difficult items, including the future agenda for WRC-23 and WRC-27; and... Read more
VP8 DXpedition Co-Leader Paul Ewing, N6PSE, said the VP8STI team is been on the air from Southern Thule Island with three stations, and he expects mor... Read more
An article describing how radio amateurs can help fill the information “donut hole” by providing post-earthquake “did you feel it” (DYFI) reports via ... Read more
Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) Manager Bobby Graves, KB5HAV, said the net is “keeping a very close eye” on Tropical Storm Barry, which could develop into a... Read more
An FCC Report and Order (R&O) released August 2 in the so-called “small satellite” rulemaking proceeding, IB Docket 18-86, failed to address conce... Read more
The FCC has put on public notice and invited comments on a Petition for Rule Making (RM-11767), filed on behalf of an amateur amplifier distributor, w... Read more
A judge in the Massachusetts Land Court has ruled that the Zoning Board of Appeals in the City of Framingham “erred” in revoking a building permit for an 80-foot ham radio tower as an accessory use. The Building Commissioner in Framingham had granted ARRL member Mikhail... Read more
- FCC Investigating Alleged “Jamming” on 40 Meters
- Audio and visual of Cuba jamming 40M, making it to OH
- Volunteer radio operators to the rescue in Belgian floods
- FCC Investigating Whether Cuban Government Is Jamming HAM Radio
- Icom ID-52 First Look! – New Icom Handheld Ham Radio | DSTAR
- Amateur Radio Responds to Flooding in Western Europe
- Is That Cuban Radio Jammers On 40 Meters Ham Radio?
- Cuba Is Jamming Ham Radio Frequencies!
- MINI600 Antenna Analyzer EU1KY Firmware Version 1.04
- June 2021 Volunteer Monitor Program Activity Report Released