John Langridge, KB5NJD/WG2XIQ, reports that “extremely rare polar openings” have been occurring the past three nights on 630 meters between a number of North American stations and Rolf Torvik, LA2XPA, in Norway.
“This path is straight through the auroral oval, and quiet geomagnetic conditions have allowed signals to traverse the polar regions,” Langridge told ARRL. He said LA2XPA has “an amazing station on an isolated island and is using 500- to 700-meter long Beverages. It’s quite remarkable.”
He said these openings also appear to be happening on 160 meters to a lesser extent, “based on a number of reports.”
While Amateur Radio does not yet have access to 630 meters in the US, several enthusiasts of the nether regions, such as Langridge, have FCC Part 5 Experimental licenses or are part of the ARRL 600 Meter Experiment (WD2XSH). Langridge has been chronicling the activity on his blog.
“Donald Clark, KB6QEW, is having some trouble with his SWR. But because of some issues in understanding his situation Dave will answer the best he can in multiple possible situations and Best Practices in all of them” Read more
- Corner reflector antenna
- 2m Yagi Beam Antenna | 144 MHz 10 Element Super-Light High Gain OWL G/T
- Full Size Mega Loop Antenna 6 to 160m
- UltraLight Magnetic Loop Antenna – NEW Original Packaging!
- How close can Antennas be?
- Icom Mobile Antennas AH-760 and AH-740 (1.6MHz–29.999MHz )
- New! Bonito Loop ML-200
- JK Mid-Tri-40 2 Elements on 40M / 3 Elements on 20M/ 4 Elements on 15M / 5 Elements on 10M / 26 Foot Boom
- A New Way to compare HF antennas
- Comet mobile antenna of 430MHz band – ASF-430
The September edition of Digital QST is now available for viewing on your desktop or laptop. Click here to view the issue. It is also available for re... Read more
Coronal Hole #24 will be facing Earth this weekend. A solar wind stream flowing from this zone could reach Earth beginning March 29th and could lead t... Read more
While some amateurs may complain about lousy HF propagation conditions, the Doctor explains that the truth is a bit more nuanced. Read more
“Bill Sexton, N1IN/AAR1FP, will step down on December 31 as the US Army Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS) public affairs officer, a... Read more
“We are sorry to announce that Icom has discontinued the IC-7851 HF All Band Transceiver. Since its launch six years ago, the IC-7851 has been I... Read more
Tom Gallagher, NY2RF the ARRL CEO interviewed by DX Engineering Chief Operating Officer Tim Duffy, K3LR while at the Dayton Hamvention® 2016. Read more
“I spent the weekend camping and testing a couple of antennas: the Chameleon MPAS 2 vertical and the Wolf River Coils Silver Bullet 1000. Both a... Read more
Take your Ham Radio Portable with iPortable. A look at these really cool rack mount units for HF/VHF/UHF Ham Radio. Portable Pro2 Equipment Rack Systems are specifically for portable communications. Made from ABS and powder-coated aluminum, these durable and lightweight... Read more
- The history of communicating with submarines underwater
- K4BEN, announces the official beta of his Remote Radio Service
- New at ICOM Hamvention 2022!
- AMSAT-UK announce the 2022 International Space Colloquium
- ICOM will announce news at Hamvention
- Annual Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Exercise Set for May 14
- Global Radio Guide: Summer 2022
- How to use Hamsticks in different ways for use on the HF bands in Ham Radio
- microHAM to be Sold Exclusively in North America by DX Engineering
- RC-1 Quick Remove Antenna Support