John Langridge, KB5NJD/WG2XIQ, reports that “extremely rare polar openings” have been occurring the past three nights on 630 meters between a number of North American stations and Rolf Torvik, LA2XPA, in Norway.
“This path is straight through the auroral oval, and quiet geomagnetic conditions have allowed signals to traverse the polar regions,” Langridge told ARRL. He said LA2XPA has “an amazing station on an isolated island and is using 500- to 700-meter long Beverages. It’s quite remarkable.”
He said these openings also appear to be happening on 160 meters to a lesser extent, “based on a number of reports.”
While Amateur Radio does not yet have access to 630 meters in the US, several enthusiasts of the nether regions, such as Langridge, have FCC Part 5 Experimental licenses or are part of the ARRL 600 Meter Experiment (WD2XSH). Langridge has been chronicling the activity on his blog.
MEF-330-1K Multiband EFHW Antenna Transformer, Covers 8 Bands / 80-10m / 1kW-max. / NO TUNER needed / wire not included/one End Insulator included Product Description MEF-330-1K Multi Band End Fed Half Wave Antenna Transformer This is an End-Fed Half Wave anten... Read more
- Building 2 Meter Vertical Moxon
- DxGlider52: Ultimate DX-Contest Tribander 18 elements ~ 52ft boom
- 10-40 Meter Coaxial Loop Rated IP54 for Base, Mobile, & Tactical
- W3EDP Antenna
- Antenna Rotators “ARRL The Doctor is In” podcast. Listen…and learn!
- “Big Wire Antennas” [ ARRL The Doctor Will See You Now! ]
- APARTMENT ANTENNA, HF, 40M-2M – MFJ-1622
- CrankIR from SteppIR – Portable Ham Radio Antenna
- New Book: Receiving Antennas for the Radio Amateur is Now Shipping!
- 6-160 Meter Alpha S9 Spun Fiberglass Antenna
Product Description The Pixie “micro-power Telegraph transceiver kit instructions This is a very small volume of a simple 40 meter band micro-po... Read more
What the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) calls “The global treaty behind your mobile communications” — the ITU Radio Regulations (2016 edi... Read more
The IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) has announced the MTT-Sat Challenge for groups of students developing RF hardware for CubeSat... Read more
JT DX JT65 – JT9 – T10 – FT8 – WSPR Guides JTDX_User_Manual_EN_2018_01_08.pdf – (English language by VK7YUM with... Read more
With the National Hurricane Center (NHC) expecting Tropical Storm Isaias to become a hurricane again later today and make landfall this evening, the Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) reactivated at 1600 UTC on 14.325 MHz. HWN Manager Bobby Graves, KB5HAV, said the net will shif... Read more
- Slow-Scan Television Activity August 4 – 5 from ISS will Commemorate Apollo-Soyuz
- Hurricane Watch Net Activating as Hurricane Isaias Approaches US East Coast
- New Technician HF Privileges Defined: ARRL board accepts final recommendations of the Band Planning Committee
- FCC Fines HobbyKing Nearly $3 Million for Marketing Unauthorized Drone Transmitters
- ISS MAI-75 SSTV activity planned for Aug 4-5
- AMSAT Partners with University of Maine WiSe-Net Lab to Develop State’s First CubeSat
- High School Marine Buoy Transmitter Now Active on 20-Meter WSPR
- Well-Known Contester and Contest Station Builder Grady Ferguson, W5FU, SK
- Chris Brault, KD8YVJ, is 2020 Amateur Radio Newsline Young Ham of the Year
- ARRL Members to Lead New 30-Minute Amateur Radio Webinar Series