The Radio Club of America (RCA) has announced its 2020 award recipients and fellows, several of whom are radio amateurs. Recipients and fellows will be celebrated at RCA’s 111th Banquet & Awards Presentation on Friday, November 20, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Barry Goldwater Award: Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, for unique contributions to the field of amateur radio.
- Edgar F. Johnson Pioneer Citation Award: Tokuzo Inoue, JA3FA, for noteworthy contributions to the success of the radio industry.
- The Jack Poppele Award: John Schadler for important and long-term contributions to the field of radio broadcasting.
- The Jay Kitchen Leadership Award: Michael T.N. Fitch in recognition of achievement of a high level of success leading a wireless association.
- The Ralph Batcher Memorial Award: Eric P. Wenaas, Ph. D., for significant work in preserving the history of radio and electronic communications.
- RCA President’s Award: Ron Jakubowski, K2RJ, for service and dedication to the Radio Club of America.
- RCA Special Services Award: Ernie Blair, WA4BPS, to recognize an RCA member who has performed significant work to advance the goals and objectives of the Radio Club of America.
- The Sarnoff Citation: Robert Rouleau, VE2P, and Norman Pearl, VE2BQS, for exceptional contributions of a technical or non-technical nature to the advancement of electronic communications.
- US Navy Captain George P. McGinnis Memorial Award: CTRCM John A. “Gus” Gustafson, USN (Ret.) for service and dedication to the advancement and preservation of US Naval Cryptology, as nominated by the US Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association (NCVA).
- The Vivian Carr Award: Emily Calandrelli, KD8PKR, in recognition of an outstanding woman’s achievements in the wireless industry.
2020 RCA Fellows
Elevation to Fellow is made by nomination of members in good standing for at least 5 years, in recognition of contributions to the art and science of radio communications, broadcast, or to the Radio Club of America.
- Jim Bugel
- Raymond L. Grimes, N8RG
- Tracey M. Hilburn
- Paul A. Scutieri
- Alan S. Tilles
- David Witkowski, W6DTW
A complete listing of RCA awards and previous recipients is on the RCA website.
Comparing the lab599 Discovery TX-500 with the Elecraft KX2. Which one should you choose? Read more
On todays episode of Tuesdays with Tim, K3LR and Jeff, KB8ZWT we will discuss bonding and grounding and Band Pass Filters for Field Day! Read more
The newest DMR Handheld Ham Radio from Anytone is the AT-D878UVII Plus HT, which incorporates 500,000 contacts and 10,000 talkgroups into the same, gr... Read more
The Chair of IARU Region 1 Spectrum Affairs, Barry Lewis G4SJH, reports on the work being done in defending the interests of the Amateur Services... Read more
Brand new from Wouxun is the KG-UV8H Handheld, which features a different screen than earlier models, an 8-watt output power, and a 3200mAH battery. L... Read more
The STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio allows you to conveniently enjoy any DRM live radio broadcast on your Android smartphone or tablet. No Internet connection... Read more
There’s an incredible amount of radio signals. It’s impossible to know them all, let alone recognize them. So why not get help from Signal... Read more
Icom has released a firmware update for the IC-7850/IC-7851 HF Amateur Radio transceivers. Also released is a related update to the RS-BA1 version 2 s... Read more
Win4IcomSuite is a windows control program for the Icom IC-7100, IC-7300, IC-7600, IC-7610, IC-7700, IC-7800, IC-7850/51 and IC-9700 transceivers sup... Read more
“I typically paper log my Parks on the Air contacts during an activation. After I get home I will transcribe and edit the log with Fast Log Entr... Read more