The Radio Club of America (RCA) has announced its 2020 award recipients and fellows, several of whom are radio amateurs. Recipients and fellows will be celebrated at RCA’s 111th Banquet & Awards Presentation on Friday, November 20, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Barry Goldwater Award: Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, for unique contributions to the field of amateur radio.
- Edgar F. Johnson Pioneer Citation Award: Tokuzo Inoue, JA3FA, for noteworthy contributions to the success of the radio industry.
- The Jack Poppele Award: John Schadler for important and long-term contributions to the field of radio broadcasting.
- The Jay Kitchen Leadership Award: Michael T.N. Fitch in recognition of achievement of a high level of success leading a wireless association.
- The Ralph Batcher Memorial Award: Eric P. Wenaas, Ph. D., for significant work in preserving the history of radio and electronic communications.
- RCA President’s Award: Ron Jakubowski, K2RJ, for service and dedication to the Radio Club of America.
- RCA Special Services Award: Ernie Blair, WA4BPS, to recognize an RCA member who has performed significant work to advance the goals and objectives of the Radio Club of America.
- The Sarnoff Citation: Robert Rouleau, VE2P, and Norman Pearl, VE2BQS, for exceptional contributions of a technical or non-technical nature to the advancement of electronic communications.
- US Navy Captain George P. McGinnis Memorial Award: CTRCM John A. “Gus” Gustafson, USN (Ret.) for service and dedication to the advancement and preservation of US Naval Cryptology, as nominated by the US Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association (NCVA).
- The Vivian Carr Award: Emily Calandrelli, KD8PKR, in recognition of an outstanding woman’s achievements in the wireless industry.
2020 RCA Fellows
Elevation to Fellow is made by nomination of members in good standing for at least 5 years, in recognition of contributions to the art and science of radio communications, broadcast, or to the Radio Club of America.
- Jim Bugel
- Raymond L. Grimes, N8RG
- Tracey M. Hilburn
- Paul A. Scutieri
- Alan S. Tilles
- David Witkowski, W6DTW
A complete listing of RCA awards and previous recipients is on the RCA website.
An important first step in ham radio is figuring out how you want to power your radio station. Reagrdless if it being at home or in the field, you nee... Read more
“I’m taking a 10,000 FT look at three types of ham radio programing software. There’s so much to unpack here that a quick overview i... Read more
“The TIDRADIO bluetooth programmer application is one of the worst aplications I have had to deal with in ham radio. Its odd and makes no sense... Read more
Brand new from YAesu, dropping in October of 2021, is a new dual band Ham Radio, the FTM-6000r. This was announced today, so I wanted to get some rese... Read more
FTM-6000E – 50W transmitting power – Reception range from 108 to 999.995 MHz – New “E2O-III” user interface – Remo... Read more
In view of the escalating demand for higher mobile data (from IoT, industry 4.0 applications), there is a growing world-wide interest to improve the r... Read more
SDR Receiver demodulates and plays AM and FM signals received by an RTL-SDR, Airspy HF+ or SDRplay radio. Requires a radio and a host comput... Read more
The STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio allows you to conveniently enjoy any DRM live radio broadcast on your Android smartphone or tablet. No Internet connection... Read more
SDR++ It’s nice to see a new cross platform program in the scene. https://github.com/AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus Read more