The Radio Club of America (RCA) has announced its 2020 award recipients and fellows, several of whom are radio amateurs. Recipients and fellows will be celebrated at RCA’s 111th Banquet & Awards Presentation on Friday, November 20, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Barry Goldwater Award: Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, for unique contributions to the field of amateur radio.
- Edgar F. Johnson Pioneer Citation Award: Tokuzo Inoue, JA3FA, for noteworthy contributions to the success of the radio industry.
- The Jack Poppele Award: John Schadler for important and long-term contributions to the field of radio broadcasting.
- The Jay Kitchen Leadership Award: Michael T.N. Fitch in recognition of achievement of a high level of success leading a wireless association.
- The Ralph Batcher Memorial Award: Eric P. Wenaas, Ph. D., for significant work in preserving the history of radio and electronic communications.
- RCA President’s Award: Ron Jakubowski, K2RJ, for service and dedication to the Radio Club of America.
- RCA Special Services Award: Ernie Blair, WA4BPS, to recognize an RCA member who has performed significant work to advance the goals and objectives of the Radio Club of America.
- The Sarnoff Citation: Robert Rouleau, VE2P, and Norman Pearl, VE2BQS, for exceptional contributions of a technical or non-technical nature to the advancement of electronic communications.
- US Navy Captain George P. McGinnis Memorial Award: CTRCM John A. “Gus” Gustafson, USN (Ret.) for service and dedication to the advancement and preservation of US Naval Cryptology, as nominated by the US Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association (NCVA).
- The Vivian Carr Award: Emily Calandrelli, KD8PKR, in recognition of an outstanding woman’s achievements in the wireless industry.
2020 RCA Fellows
Elevation to Fellow is made by nomination of members in good standing for at least 5 years, in recognition of contributions to the art and science of radio communications, broadcast, or to the Radio Club of America.
- Jim Bugel
- Raymond L. Grimes, N8RG
- Tracey M. Hilburn
- Paul A. Scutieri
- Alan S. Tilles
- David Witkowski, W6DTW
A complete listing of RCA awards and previous recipients is on the RCA website.
Michael, KI7QIB, is asking a simple question “Should I replace PL-259 connectors in a feedline with N-type connectors? Read more
What is the best DMR Handheld Ham Radio you can get in 2021, and why? Today I take you through my Top 10 choices for DMR HTs, with an honorable mentio... Read more
AMSAT’s Engineering and Operations Teams have announced that AO-109 (RadFxSat-2/AMSAT Fox-1E) is now open for amateur use. AMSAT advises operators to... Read more
Radioddity has a new Mini Mobile DMR Radio about to be released which they are calling the DB-25-D. This is a small dual band DMR radio with 20W power... Read more
Today I go over the features and do some power testing on the Baofeng UV-10R Dual Band HT Ham Radio Specification: Brand Baofeng Power 10W Frequency V... Read more
SDR Receiver demodulates and plays AM and FM signals received by an RTL-SDR, Airspy HF+ or SDRplay radio. Requires a radio and a host comput... Read more
The STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio allows you to conveniently enjoy any DRM live radio broadcast on your Android smartphone or tablet. No Internet connection... Read more
There’s an incredible amount of radio signals. It’s impossible to know them all, let alone recognize them. So why not get help from Signal... Read more
“ On January 1, 2022 I will be retiring. I’ll be nearly 76 and want to spend more time at other things. EZNEC is and always has been devel... Read more
WSJT-X version 2.4.0 now is available in general release. According to co-developer Joe Taylor, K1JT, WSJT-X version 2.4.0, includes a... Read more
Icom has released a firmware update for the IC-7850/IC-7851 HF Amateur Radio transceivers. Also released is a related update to the RS-BA1 version 2 s... Read more