APRS Tracker/TNC With 7W Transceiver With External GPS Antenna
Device manual v1.03: English language
Built-in 38.5 dbm / 7 watt transceiver
APRS Voyager incorporates a built-in transceiver with 38.5 dbm / 7 watt power amplifier capable of transmitting and receiving APRS packets. The only thing you need to do is to connect a proper antenna to SMA connector. Output power is programable between 5 Watts and 7 Watts.
Mic-E/Base-91/Plain text position reporting
The main feature for an APRS tracker is position reporting. APRS Voyager allows you to select between three most common position reporting formats:
- Mic-E – uses both AX.25 destination address and information field for position report and is the most compact reporting method, giving the shortest packet length,
- Base-91 – second compressed method oriented to short report packet length,
- Plain text – in this method station position report is sent in human-readable plain text format,
You can also select between fixed time interval reporting which means that packets are sent every X number of seconds, and SmartBeaconing. SmartBeaconing is an algorithm which sends position reports with intervals dependent on speed and course, allowing for more accurate reporting especially in urban area. SmartBeaconing algorithm was first developed by Tony Arnerich KD7TA and Steve Bragg KA9MVA and now it is widely used by most APRS tracker devices.
Built-in Bluetooth interface
APRS Voyager integrates a built-in Bluetooth interface which can work in one of selectable modes:
- Serial console – similar to RS-232 serial console known from PLXTracker or PLXDigi, it outputs debuging information for device operation.
- KISS – allows to exchange packets with your laptop, tablet or smartphone with APRS software installed. This feature works great with APRSDroid available for Android phones and allows to plot received stations on a map. APRSDroid allows also to send and receive messages, beacons and SmartBeaconing position via APRS Voyager.
- GPS passthrough – if you have a GPS receiver connected to APRS Voyager RS-232 serial port, then you can forward NMEA stream to any other device using Bluetooth interface.
Simple alias-based APRS packet digipeater
With APRS Voyager you can do a simple alias-based APRS packet digipeating. Generally APRS tracker units should not be used as a full-featured digipeaters but with alias-based digipeater feature you can digipeat WIDE1-1 packets sent by other mobiles increasing their chance of reaching an I-Gate.
Weather station support
APRS Voyager allows you to receive weather data from compatible weather stations over RS-232 serial interface. Currently supported stations are:
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2300,
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2350,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 100,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 800,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100,
- Davis Vantage Pro (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro Plus (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (with RS-232 datalogger),
External telemetry module support
You can use an additional telemetry module for reporting of voltages and electric current values of your installation. This is especially useful for monitoring of solar panel powered systems on remote sites. WXTelemetry module allows you to read 2 voltages, 2 currents and one temperature, then sends these values as APRS telemetry reports to RF.
Contest University (CTU) is holding a Virtual Propagation Summit on Saturday, January 23. The Zoom-platform event will get under way with introductory... Read more
FCC Notice: What You CAN And CANNOT Do With Ham Radio Read more
“In a bizzare warning issued by the FCC and followed by a warning from the Association for Amateur Radio, The ARRL, ham are warned on a Sunday m... Read more
Full Title: Warning: Amateur and Personal Radio Services Licensees and Operators May Not Use Radio Equipment to Commit or Facilitate Criminal Act... Read more
Jim W6LG plays recordings of an Elecraft K3s and a Yaesu FT-450. Which sounds best to you? Vote for receiver #1 or receiver #2 and give a very short d... Read more
Is there a station that you really want to discover where they are transmitting from? http://kiwisdr.com/ has a solution. By using multiple receivers... Read more
“If you are in the market for a high gain HT antenna for those fringe areas, this may be for you. The Diamond SRH770s is very flexible for porta... Read more
SainSonic releases its debut radios – SainSonic RST599 two-way radios. This revolutionary design marks the start of an exciting new produ... Read more
Icom ID-51 If you were one of the customers who purchased a 50th Anniversary version of the ID-51 or the latter ID-51 Plus, then there is a firmware u... Read more
“A High Power 50 Watt GMRS Mobile Radio from BTECH is Released BTECH announced today the North American release of the BTECH GMRS-50X1. The GMRS... Read more
RFinder now includes the ability to make jamming reports. This is already available in RFinder Android and should be available on iOS devices by Dayto... Read more
Get Your Ham Radio License You are only 35 questions away from getting your Ham radio license. The questions come from a pool of questions publ... Read more