APRS Tracker/TNC With 7W Transceiver With External GPS Antenna
Device manual v1.03: English language
Built-in 38.5 dbm / 7 watt transceiver
APRS Voyager incorporates a built-in transceiver with 38.5 dbm / 7 watt power amplifier capable of transmitting and receiving APRS packets. The only thing you need to do is to connect a proper antenna to SMA connector. Output power is programable between 5 Watts and 7 Watts.
Mic-E/Base-91/Plain text position reporting
The main feature for an APRS tracker is position reporting. APRS Voyager allows you to select between three most common position reporting formats:
- Mic-E – uses both AX.25 destination address and information field for position report and is the most compact reporting method, giving the shortest packet length,
- Base-91 – second compressed method oriented to short report packet length,
- Plain text – in this method station position report is sent in human-readable plain text format,
You can also select between fixed time interval reporting which means that packets are sent every X number of seconds, and SmartBeaconing. SmartBeaconing is an algorithm which sends position reports with intervals dependent on speed and course, allowing for more accurate reporting especially in urban area. SmartBeaconing algorithm was first developed by Tony Arnerich KD7TA and Steve Bragg KA9MVA and now it is widely used by most APRS tracker devices.
Built-in Bluetooth interface
APRS Voyager integrates a built-in Bluetooth interface which can work in one of selectable modes:
- Serial console – similar to RS-232 serial console known from PLXTracker or PLXDigi, it outputs debuging information for device operation.
- KISS – allows to exchange packets with your laptop, tablet or smartphone with APRS software installed. This feature works great with APRSDroid available for Android phones and allows to plot received stations on a map. APRSDroid allows also to send and receive messages, beacons and SmartBeaconing position via APRS Voyager.
- GPS passthrough – if you have a GPS receiver connected to APRS Voyager RS-232 serial port, then you can forward NMEA stream to any other device using Bluetooth interface.
Simple alias-based APRS packet digipeater
With APRS Voyager you can do a simple alias-based APRS packet digipeating. Generally APRS tracker units should not be used as a full-featured digipeaters but with alias-based digipeater feature you can digipeat WIDE1-1 packets sent by other mobiles increasing their chance of reaching an I-Gate.
Weather station support
APRS Voyager allows you to receive weather data from compatible weather stations over RS-232 serial interface. Currently supported stations are:
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2300,
- LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2350,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 100,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 800,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000,
- Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100,
- Davis Vantage Pro (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro Plus (with RS-232 datalogger),
- Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (with RS-232 datalogger),
External telemetry module support
You can use an additional telemetry module for reporting of voltages and electric current values of your installation. This is especially useful for monitoring of solar panel powered systems on remote sites. WXTelemetry module allows you to read 2 voltages, 2 currents and one temperature, then sends these values as APRS telemetry reports to RF.
Image credit: Otava Tuomi. Early last year, when the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) first pushed much of the world into lockdown, one traditional... Read more
A 5-year, $9.3 million National Science Foundation (NSF) grant will allow the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) Geophysical Institute to establish... Read more
Donald de Riggs, J88CD, on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent, says that on April 13, the 42nd anniversary of the 1979 eruption of the La Soufriere v... Read more
The FCC has announced that rule changes detailed in a lengthy 2019 Report and Order governing RF exposure standards go into effect on May 3, 2021. The... Read more
The Rebel 506 utilizes a chipKIT Uno32 prototyping board which give users access to an Arduino based programming environment. With its 32 bit computin... Read more
“This week I’m reviewing the Openspot by Shark RF. No images to hunt down, It runs D-Star, DMR & Fusion all in one box. Don’t fo... Read more
This video provides an introduction to the Icom IC-2730E mobile transceiver that provides VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF simultaneous receive capability as well a... Read more
F-600A Quick Details Place of Origin: Fujian, China (Mainland) Brand Name: Creation Walkie Talkie Model Number: F-600A Digital Walkie Talkie Type: Han... Read more
Baojie BJ-218 The function of the new development menu Personalized design operation Dual Display, Dual Standby & Dual Track Mini Size, Power Sup... Read more