A number of you have participated in the beta testing of the pre-release versions of JS8Call for some time now. Well, good news…JS8Call is finally out of it’s initial development and version 1.0 has been publicly released: http://js8call.com/news/
What is JS8Call & JS8?
JS8Call is an experiment to test the feasibility of a digital mode with the robustness of FT8, combined with a messaging and network protocol layer for weak signal communication on HF, using a keyboard messaging style interface. It is designed to connect amateur radio operators who are operating under weak signal conditions.
JS8 is a mode with the freedom to transmit arbitrary length free-text messages using an adaptive text compression scheme (15-18 wpm average, > 20+ wpm on some messages).
The software also includes:
- Callsign list that shows which callsigns you can hear and which can hear you.
- Directed message structure to allow messages to you to be received anywhere in the passband.
- Directed commands to request specific information from other stations (like their GRID).
- Message relays (use a series of intermediate stations to relay a message to a destination)
- Store-and-forward message inbox that allows messages to be left at intermediate stations to be retrieved later.
- Band hopping based on a schedule.
- Time drift controls for synchronizing to other stations when no other time source is available.
- Macros with text replacement for SNR, GRID, and other information.
- An API for other applications to integrate dynamic message sending (think, Chess, ARQ, Forms, Geolocation, etc)
- Spotting of station locators to PSKReporter, HamSpots, APRS-IS, and JS8NET.
- And is open-source (GPL) and free to use and/or modify.
If you’ve been interested in trying JS8Call, but didn’t want to have to sign up for the groups.io or upgrade frequently while in development, now is your time. The 1.0 release is a solid foundation for weak signal communication and I hope that you enjoy using it.
If there’s anything you need, feel free to email me email@example.com. Happy to answer any questions you might have in the meantime.
Jordan / KN4CRD”
3D animation by Jeremy Cleaveland, KE0CGU Read more
“I went to my friends house to check out his setup and get him up and running on some HF digital modes. A lot of hams are struggling in an HOA w... Read more
HF Mobile Antenna Covers 80-6 Meters with 4 1/2 foot mobile or 10 foot fixed operation telescoping whip. Continuously adjustable loading coil is 36 in... Read more
IC-R 8600 Broad band of 10 kHz to 3 GHz Product name / type name Communication receiver / IC – R 8600 Suggested retail price 228,000 yen + tax... Read more
Description: WHAT IS SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO (SDR)? In traditional hardware radios, the mathematical operations required to decode and proces... Read more
A 5-year, $9.3 million National Science Foundation (NSF) grant will allow the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) Geophysical Institute to establish... Read more
Donald de Riggs, J88CD, on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent, says that on April 13, the 42nd anniversary of the 1979 eruption of the La Soufriere v... Read more
The FCC has announced that rule changes detailed in a lengthy 2019 Report and Order governing RF exposure standards go into effect on May 3, 2021. The... Read more