A number of you have participated in the beta testing of the pre-release versions of JS8Call for some time now. Well, good news…JS8Call is finally out of it’s initial development and version 1.0 has been publicly released: http://js8call.com/news/
What is JS8Call & JS8?
JS8Call is an experiment to test the feasibility of a digital mode with the robustness of FT8, combined with a messaging and network protocol layer for weak signal communication on HF, using a keyboard messaging style interface. It is designed to connect amateur radio operators who are operating under weak signal conditions.
JS8 is a mode with the freedom to transmit arbitrary length free-text messages using an adaptive text compression scheme (15-18 wpm average, > 20+ wpm on some messages).
The software also includes:
- Callsign list that shows which callsigns you can hear and which can hear you.
- Directed message structure to allow messages to you to be received anywhere in the passband.
- Directed commands to request specific information from other stations (like their GRID).
- Message relays (use a series of intermediate stations to relay a message to a destination)
- Store-and-forward message inbox that allows messages to be left at intermediate stations to be retrieved later.
- Band hopping based on a schedule.
- Time drift controls for synchronizing to other stations when no other time source is available.
- Macros with text replacement for SNR, GRID, and other information.
- An API for other applications to integrate dynamic message sending (think, Chess, ARQ, Forms, Geolocation, etc)
- Spotting of station locators to PSKReporter, HamSpots, APRS-IS, and JS8NET.
- And is open-source (GPL) and free to use and/or modify.
If you’ve been interested in trying JS8Call, but didn’t want to have to sign up for the groups.io or upgrade frequently while in development, now is your time. The 1.0 release is a solid foundation for weak signal communication and I hope that you enjoy using it.
If there’s anything you need, feel free to email me firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy to answer any questions you might have in the meantime.
Jordan / KN4CRD”
IC-9700 Icom Inc. has released more details about the launch of the IC-9700 VHF/UHF/23CM All-Mode SDR Transceiver. Icom plans to release this high-per... Read more
A2R is a switch with the capability to share one amplifier between two radios. If you have a Solid State amplifier with fast band switching, it can up... Read more
Description: WHAT IS SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO (SDR)? In traditional hardware radios, the mathematical operations required to decode and proces... Read more
A social media joke early this summer setting up a “Storm Area 51, they Can’t Stop Us All” group now has spiraled into emergency declarations in two N... Read more
ARRL Renews Request for FCC to Replace Symbol Rate with Bandwidth Limit In ex parte comments filed on September 17 in WT Docket 16-239, ARRL renewed i... Read more
HamSCI and the Case Amateur Radio Club of Case Western Reserve University (W8EDU) will sponsor a “Festival of Frequency Measurement” on WWV’s centenni... Read more