Here it is! The all new Icom IC-9700 tri-band direct sampling transceiver. This is a most impressive rig and I will be showing many more videos on this unit. To start, let me show you the rig and talk about some of the features and reasons why this is a total game changer for the hobby.
Direct Sampling Brought to the VHF/UHF World
Built with the VHF/UHF weak signal operator in mind, the IC-9700 is an RF direct sampling receiver for 2m and 70cm. The IF receiver consists of a single, down conversion for 23cm that is between 311 – 371MHz. This design provides a quiet receiver due to Icom’s DSP technology. The robust PA provides 100W on 2m, 75W on 70cm, and 10W on 23cm.
In addition to band specific memory channels, the IC-9700 allows band specific receiver and transmitter settings. For transmit, users can make adjustments to RF power, TX power Limit, Limit Power, and TX Delay by band. Basic receiver settings, like the Noise Blanker, Noise Reduction, and others can be tweaked by band with a dynamic Notch and Filter setup by band/mode.
Other Planned Features Include:
- All mode, tri-band transceiver covering 144, 430/440 as well as 1200MHz
- Supports CW/AM/SSB/SM/RTTY and D-STAR DV and DD modes
- Digital Data (DD) mode provides 128 kbps data communication
- PA provides a powerful 100W (144 MHz), 75W (430/440 MHz) and 10W (1200 MHz) output
- 4.3″ touch screen color TFT LCD
- Smooth satellite operation with normal/reverse tracking and 99 satellite channels
- Real-time, high-speed spectrum scope & waterfall display
- Dualwatch operation and full-duplex operation in the satellite mode
- Supports 2 wave simultaneous reception (different band / different mode), full duplex operation.
- D-STAR Terminal and Access Point mode (RS-MS3A/W)
- Dual D-STAR receive (decodes two voice streams simultaneously)
- Full duplex operation/Dual Watch (no V/V or U/U Capability)
- Main or Sub-Band Scope (Center/Fix mode +/-500kHz Center Mode)
- Audio Scope
- CW full break-n
- 0.5ppm frequency < +/- 0.5ppm (–10°C to +60°C; 14°F to 140°F)
- Voice Recording/playback function (SD Memory Card)
- Ethernet Port (Internal RS-BA1 Server)
- USB audio and control connection
- DR Memories: 2,500
Liquid-based antennas offer unique advantages over metal ones By Michelle Hampson A new antenna that uses saltwater and plastic instead of metal to sh... Read more
“Since my 6m Delta Loop seems to work pretty well I decided to build one for the 30m band to be used with my Spiderbeam 12m mast. Unfortunately... Read more
“The Legendary G5RV Antenna” is the topic of the new (August 15) episode of the ARRL The Doctor is In podcast. Listen…and learn! Read more
On the evening of the 14th and the morning of the 15th of September 2019, there was a very good tropo opening on 144 MHz from the Azore Islands in the... Read more
A social media joke early this summer setting up a “Storm Area 51, they Can’t Stop Us All” group now has spiraled into emergency declarations in two N... Read more
ARRL Renews Request for FCC to Replace Symbol Rate with Bandwidth Limit In ex parte comments filed on September 17 in WT Docket 16-239, ARRL renewed i... Read more