Here it is! The all new Icom IC-9700 tri-band direct sampling transceiver. This is a most impressive rig and I will be showing many more videos on this unit. To start, let me show you the rig and talk about some of the features and reasons why this is a total game changer for the hobby.
Direct Sampling Brought to the VHF/UHF World
Built with the VHF/UHF weak signal operator in mind, the IC-9700 is an RF direct sampling receiver for 2m and 70cm. The IF receiver consists of a single, down conversion for 23cm that is between 311 – 371MHz. This design provides a quiet receiver due to Icom’s DSP technology. The robust PA provides 100W on 2m, 75W on 70cm, and 10W on 23cm.
In addition to band specific memory channels, the IC-9700 allows band specific receiver and transmitter settings. For transmit, users can make adjustments to RF power, TX power Limit, Limit Power, and TX Delay by band. Basic receiver settings, like the Noise Blanker, Noise Reduction, and others can be tweaked by band with a dynamic Notch and Filter setup by band/mode.
Other Planned Features Include:
- All mode, tri-band transceiver covering 144, 430/440 as well as 1200MHz
- Supports CW/AM/SSB/SM/RTTY and D-STAR DV and DD modes
- Digital Data (DD) mode provides 128 kbps data communication
- PA provides a powerful 100W (144 MHz), 75W (430/440 MHz) and 10W (1200 MHz) output
- 4.3″ touch screen color TFT LCD
- Smooth satellite operation with normal/reverse tracking and 99 satellite channels
- Real-time, high-speed spectrum scope & waterfall display
- Dualwatch operation and full-duplex operation in the satellite mode
- Supports 2 wave simultaneous reception (different band / different mode), full duplex operation.
- D-STAR Terminal and Access Point mode (RS-MS3A/W)
- Dual D-STAR receive (decodes two voice streams simultaneously)
- Full duplex operation/Dual Watch (no V/V or U/U Capability)
- Main or Sub-Band Scope (Center/Fix mode +/-500kHz Center Mode)
- Audio Scope
- CW full break-n
- 0.5ppm frequency < +/- 0.5ppm (–10°C to +60°C; 14°F to 140°F)
- Voice Recording/playback function (SD Memory Card)
- Ethernet Port (Internal RS-BA1 Server)
- USB audio and control connection
- DR Memories: 2,500
Mitsuo Kasai, JA1WQF, successfully decoded a 47 GHz signal bounced off the moon on February 10 by Al Ward, W5LUA. More tests are planned. Ward posted... Read more
Compact Design and Reliable 5W RF Power Output (Selectable 5W/ 2.5W/ 1W/ 0.3W) C4FM Digital V/D Mode, Voice FR Mode, Data FR Mode and Conventional FM... Read more
” On Saturday the 28th of December 2019, Ian GM3SEK in the south-west of Scotland managed to work D41CV on 432 MHz to set a new world record fo... Read more
“Last month while visiting Brad Rich, N6GR, he gave me a tour of his nearly-completed 69-foot foldover tower and his SteppIR DB-18 antenna. He a... Read more
by Lindsey O’Laughlin, Residents of White Rose Lane in Windsor Township are upset about this amateur radio tower in their neighbor’s yard... Read more
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES®) volunteers in DeSoto County, Mississippi, devoted several days in January to assisting local emergency manage... Read more