Developed during the heyday of the telegraph, the Lineman’s splice is designed for connections that will be under tension. It is commonly claimed that, properly made, a Lineman’s splice is stronger than the wires of which it is composed. In any case, it is a time-proven method, and, coolest of all, one of NASA’s Required Workmanship Standards. To wit, in a NASA-approved Lineman’s splice:
- The conductors shall be pre-tinned.
- There shall be at least 3 turns around each conductor and the wraps shall be tight with no gaps between adjacent turns.
- The wraps shall not overlap and the ends of the wrap shall be trimmed flush prior to soldering to prevent protruding ends.
- Conductors shall not overlap the insulation of the other wire.
Though the Lineman’s splice was originally used without solder, today soldering is common. And NASA insists on it:
- Solder shall wet all elements of the connection.
- The solder shall fillet between connection elements over the complete periphery
of the connection.
This material comes from page 84 of NASA-STD 8739.4 (PDF), which is a great reference if you’re interested in best practices for interconnecting cables and wires.
16-year-old radio amateur Julián Fernández EA4HCD was interviewed by the newspaper El Mundo Chronicle about his FossaSat-1PocketQube satellite. A Goog... Read more
IARU was represented at the meeting of CEPT Project Team A (responsible for some aspects of the CEPT position for WRC-19), held in Prague from June 17... Read more
PALM SIZE DMR: Compatible with MOTOTRBO, the GD-73A features lightweight and mini size that can easily fit your pocket. The clear LCD screen and compa... Read more
Product Dimensions and Weight Product Length: 25.0000M Product Widtg: 1.0280M A 3 element LFA-Q (Super-rigid Quad-style) Super-Light Quad Style Yagi f... Read more
Vertical Antenna 8 bands trapped (10-12-15-17-20-30-40-80m) with wire radials 1/4 lambda for each one band.
10-40m Full bands coverage. 80m about 120Kc/s RF chocke for electrostatic protection. 2 KW pep SO239 Technical specifications: Height: 11.3 m approxim... Read more