There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
Different tools for different applications. The Doctor explains the differences. Read more
“Through my own collecting efforts involving and restoring vintage Heathkit test equipment, I first heard about, and then made contact with, a g... Read more
In a January 5 Public Notice, the FCC requested comments on whether the current 14 Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (VECs) are sufficient to facil... Read more
Tim Allen – Ham Radio “Last Man Standing” debuted its seventh season on Fox Friday night, with the Tim Allen-led sitcom rocketing past its... Read more
“January 11, 1965, a breathless Novice wraps his fist around the key and bangs our his first call on 40 cw, the ink still wet where he si... Read more
A rising star in the Amateur Radio world —19-year old Ruth Willet, KM4LAO, of Lawrenceville, Georgia — has caught the eye of her school, Kettering Uni... Read more