There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
Steve Ford, WB8IMY, provides an introduction to FT8, one of the most popular Amateur Radio digital modes ever created. “FT8” is the topic of the cur... Read more
In part one of our reports from Hamfest 2017 we have a sneak preview of the Icom IC-7610 and IC-R8600 rigs. We meet the new owners of PW Magazine, and... Read more
Covers More Bands than a G5RV (Shorty). Goes up Fast, Easy on Trees. All Stainless Hardware Black Marine ABS Insulator Blocks Handles a Full kW... Read more
VHF/UHF Log-Periodic Antenna Antenna, LPDA Type, VHF/UHF, 21 Elements, 50-1300 MHz, 500 W, 50 ohms, 6.66 ft. Boom Length, Type N, Female Create CLP-51... Read more
Description A 3 element 144MHz LFA-Q (Super-rigid Quad-style) Super-Light Quad StyleYagi for 144-146MHz The LFA-Q Packs a bigger punch than a traditio... Read more
High-Speed Wireless Networking The winner of the November 2015 QST Cover Plaque award is “High-Speed Wireless Networking in the UHF and Microwave Band... Read more
The Plenary Meeting of the 2015 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) in Geneva has approved an allocation of 5351.5-5366.5 kHz t... Read more
Radio amateurs in Colombia have been granted new allocations at 60, 630, and 2200 meters. The new allocations resulted from the efforts of the Liga Co... Read more
Alianza DxB “We are proud to introduce the Alianza DxB which is the latest device created by the Northern New Jersey, family owned technology co... Read more