There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
Yaesu FTM-300D, C4FM Dual Band Ham Radio, Review/Demo Read more
“Dummy Loads” is the topic of the new (August 16) episode of the “ARRL The Doctor is In” podcast. Listen…and learn! Sponsored by DX Engineering,... Read more
“MFJ recently announced two new Morse Code straight keys, the MFJ-566M with a metal base and the MFJ-566P with a plastic base. These small, 3D-p... Read more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzM1AUHT0w Read more
The CHA MPAS LITE is the little brother of the CHA MPAS 2.0 – the most popular Modular Portable Antenna ... Read more
3D animation by Jeremy Cleaveland, KE0CGU Read more
This captivating introduction to the extraordinary life and inventions of Guglielmo Marconi, the father of wireless communication, centres on his rema... Read more
AN AMATEUR radio ham operator from Hutton who has been taking to the airwaves since the 1920s has celebrated his 100th birthday. Fred Crockford, who t... Read more
An Amateur Radio-based science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) initiative at an Arizona elementary school culminated on May 22, as yo... Read more
FR5200H / FR6200H IDAS VHF/UHF Digital Repeaters 50W 100% Duty cycle operation Employing a high performance power amplifier, together with the solid h... Read more
Brand new from Wouxun is the KG-UV8H Handheld, which features a different screen than earlier models, an 8-watt output power, and a 3200mAH battery. L... Read more