There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
http://www.alphaantenna.com The Alpha Loop http://chameleonantenna.com The CHA-P-Loop http://www.alexloop.com My Alex Loop Antenna http://www.elecraft... Read more
Steve Ford, WB8IMY, provides an introduction to FT8, one of the most popular Amateur Radio digital modes ever created. “FT8” is the topic of the cur... Read more
Ham AIR Antenna A professionally made, robust, fully portable & waterproof inflatable antenna, for Ham Bands, A 144-148Mhz Version, , Perfect for... Read more
International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Region 2 (the Americas) is looking for a few young hams interested in helping to remake amateur radio for the... Read more
Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2015. Read more
AMSAT Vice President of Engineering Jerry Buxton, N0JY, said that while it was disappointing that the amateur transponder on HuskySat-1 (HO-107) was n... Read more
PRESS RELEASE Qixiang Electron Science & Technology Co., Ltd was founded in January 1993, and is locate in Quanzhou in China. Qixiang is a high-te... Read more