We’ve recently found what looks to be a new online video based course that uses the RTL-SDR to teach basic software defined radio topics. The course is not free, but costs only $1.99 and the first three videos are free. Judging from the first three videos the content appears to be quite basic, but is presented in a very clear way that may be useful for beginners. Currently the lessons include:
- Course Overview Welcome to the exciting world of Software Defined Radio. In this video, we’ll discuss what SDR is, and why it’s such a hot button topic right now.
- Setting up the environmentIn this module, we’ll setup our environment for development. If you’re already very comfortable with Ubuntu, you might want to just follow the guide below.
- Browsing the spectrum
In this module, we’ll cut our teeth on GRQX, and learn a little about the radio spectrum.
- Signals IntelligenceIn this module, we’ll learn how to find transmissions in the frequency domain, and capture them to disk for offline analysis.
- ModulationsIn this module, we’ll learn how to identify two types of basic digital transmissions, and talk a little about the history of radio.
- Demodulation – Part 1In this module, we’ll practice capturing signals in the wild, identifying the modulation, and demodulating the signal with GNU Radio.
- Demodulation – Part 2In this module, we’ll learn about clock recovery. And we’ll pull out packets from the garage door remote.
It also appears that they plan to have some live classes in the future.
We note that there are also alternative SDR training courses available such as Micheal Ossmanns lessons at greatscottgadgets.com/sdr.
Romania has tentatively joined the list of countries making a band at 5 MHz available to Amateur Radio. Romanian telecommunications regulator ANCOM ha... Read more
With active storms in the Atlantic and Pacific basins, ARRL Headquarters, the Hurricane Watch Net (HWN), and the Salvation Army Team Emergency Network... Read more
7el 144-145MHz Yagi OWL-Ultra Super low noise Yagi Product Dimensions and Weight Product Length: 3.1000M Product Widtg: 1.0340M Product Weight: 1.7000... Read more
Covers More Bands than a G5RV (Shorty). Goes up Fast, Easy on Trees. All Stainless Hardware Black Marine ABS Insulator Blocks Handles a Full kW... Read more
This demonstrates turning an Android Tablet (or Android Phone) into a highly portable comms receiver or spectrum analyzer operating from Long Wave to... Read more
The International Space Station (ISS) Amateur Radio Slow Scan Television (SSTV) system is expected to be active on 145.800 MHz FM on June 6 and 7, lik... Read more