We’ve recently found what looks to be a new online video based course that uses the RTL-SDR to teach basic software defined radio topics. The course is not free, but costs only $1.99 and the first three videos are free. Judging from the first three videos the content appears to be quite basic, but is presented in a very clear way that may be useful for beginners. Currently the lessons include:
- Course Overview Welcome to the exciting world of Software Defined Radio. In this video, we’ll discuss what SDR is, and why it’s such a hot button topic right now.
- Setting up the environmentIn this module, we’ll setup our environment for development. If you’re already very comfortable with Ubuntu, you might want to just follow the guide below.
- Browsing the spectrum
In this module, we’ll cut our teeth on GRQX, and learn a little about the radio spectrum.
- Signals IntelligenceIn this module, we’ll learn how to find transmissions in the frequency domain, and capture them to disk for offline analysis.
- ModulationsIn this module, we’ll learn how to identify two types of basic digital transmissions, and talk a little about the history of radio.
- Demodulation – Part 1In this module, we’ll practice capturing signals in the wild, identifying the modulation, and demodulating the signal with GNU Radio.
- Demodulation – Part 2In this module, we’ll learn about clock recovery. And we’ll pull out packets from the garage door remote.
It also appears that they plan to have some live classes in the future.
We note that there are also alternative SDR training courses available such as Micheal Ossmanns lessons at greatscottgadgets.com/sdr.
Event celebrating 450 years of the city of Rio de Janeiro PQ450RIO The city of Rio de Janeiro complete this March / 2015, 450 years of existenc... Read more
DX Engineering TALLMADGE, OH (PRWEB) AUG UST 28, 2015 DX Engineering now offers Larsen Antennas for portable/mobile Amateur Radio systems. Larsen’s co... Read more
Orlando HamCation® will host the 2016 ARRL National Convention in February. The convention will mark the 70th anniversary of HamCation — second only i... Read more
The 3-U Neutron-1 CubeSat is scheduled for deployment from the International Space Station (ISS) on November 5 at 10:40 UTC. For the satellite’s first... Read more
A high-performance SDR in a mini PCIe form factor Features & Specifications RF Chipset: Lime Microsystems LMS7002M FPRF FPGA Chipset: Xilinx Artix... Read more
“Emily Calandrelli, KD8PKR—Science Explorer,” profiled by Jen Glifort, KC1KNL, in the January issue of #QST!
From Emily Calandrelli—host of Xploration Outer Space, correspondent on Bill Nye Saves the World, and graduate of MIT—comes the first novel in a brand... Read more
An international team of 10 operators will be active as W8S from Swains Island from March 10 to March 25. The DXpedtion team will be active on all HF... Read more