Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
- OJ0B on Market Reef Logs Hundreds of 2 Meter Moonbounce , Meteor Scatter Contacts
- Elecraft KX2 : Receive Tips and Tweaks
- Simple WEB contest LOG
- Review of BITX-40 SSB QRP Rig Operations
- 9A8DV Drvenik Veli IOTA EU-016
- Colorado Springs couple transforms area summits into temporary radio stations
- Hurricane Matthew Ham Radio Preparations with AlphaLoop Magnetic Loop Antenna
- Young ham’s first contact is via OSCAR satellite
- 6-40 Meter Alpha MOTO the mobile HF antenna
- Why Are We Called Hams?
- “Discover the HF Experience” Aims to Dazzle Technicians, Newcomers
- Morse Intercom – APP
- Nets Activate for Tropical Storm Otto, Hurricane Watch Net in Monitoring Mode
- OMNI-TILT™ Vertical Antenna Tilt Bases DXE-OMNITILT-2P
- Reactions to FCC’s net neutrality vote: Celebrations, legal threats and Morse code
- ARRL Expands Initiative to Fire Up Collegiate Amateur Radio Clubs
- VK9MAV – Marion Reef/Diamond Islets, OC-267
- C21EU – Nauru DXpedition 2015
- LE RADIAN 5 -Transceiver BLU et AM en mode PWM 3.5 et 7 Mhz multi-VFO – 20 W/150W par F6CNA
- His Majesty The King of Spain CW Contest Rules
- Standing Waves Part I: Demonstration
- How to Easily Add a Channel on the BaoFeng Handheld Radio (without a PC)
- LearnMorse Code in 20 Lessons
- AmateurLogic 80: A Country Field Day
- 4 Ways to Use Your AlexLoop Antenna
- The 2016 CQ World-Wide 160-Meter Contest
- Discone Antenna
- ‘How I called International Space Station from my shed’ – BBC News
- Icom IC-7610 HF/50MHz SDR Transceiver and IC-R8600 Wideband Receiver to be shown at Icom headquarters Amateur Radio Festival (10th December 2016)
- Mysterious Tests Will Scramble GPS Signals On America’s West Coast This Month
- Radiosport RS60CF Deluxe Headset
- Unboxes the NEW Yaesu FT-891
- Radio operators help at Two Rivers Bike Ride event
- Yaesu FT-891 HF/6M Mobile Transceiver
- What Do I Hear on Shortwave Ham Radio? NW7US Vlog
- Well-Known DXer, DXpeditioner Milt Jensen, N5IA, Dies in Tower Fall