Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
The Mar-April issue of CQ is now online for the digital subscribers. See more: Read more
- Africa All Mode International DX Contest
- N7G – U.S. Open Golf Championship IOTA NA-065 Vashon Island
- Illegal transmissions from Christmas Island stopped
- Apparent ARISS Radio Failure Prompts Shift to Russian Service Module Ham Gear
- 5-year-old passes ham radio exam
- 1400 CW extremely rugged reliable RF transistor withstands VSWR > 65:1
- Russian military in 7 and 14 MHz Ham Radio bands
- Woodpecker Antenna Becomes Drone Obstacle Course
- Additional ARRL Books Now Available as E-Books
- Ham College episode 7
- ‘Field Day’ in Savage gives public a look at amateur radio
- All About INTERNATIONAL REPLY COUPONS by N6HB
- Skyler Fennell, KD0WHB, named Newsline Young Ham of the Year
- Airspy HF+ (Coming soon)
- When Should You Get a HAM License ? NOW!
- Ham radio operator points to streetlight for interference in Croydon
- ALL ASIAN DX CONTEST Rules 2014
- Entire Popular Science Magazine Archive Now Available
- LP-500 Digital Station Monitor
- How To Do a VHF SOTA Activation by K0NR
- Ham Radio Outlet Founder Robert G. Ferrero, W6RJ, SK
- Grounding and Bonding for the Radio Amateur
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society Honors Ulrich Rohde, N1UL
- FT5XO Kerguelen DXpedition
- What is LogView ?
- Unboxing the MFJ-998 – 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner
- ‘Mr. Ham Radio’ to speak at Fond du Lac club meeting
- MJ/OT9Z Jersey, Channel Islands EU-013
- New FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Offers Praise for H.R. 555, Other Telecoms Bills
- The 160 Meter Band : An Enigma Shrouded in Mystery
- Visit the factory of Begali Keys with PY2NY and PU2VYT
- CubicSDR v0.1.20-alpha Release
- Hawaii Launch of Satellites Carrying Amateur Radio Payloads Fails
- 5 Hytera DMR Radios in Comparison
- QRP Pixie – Chinese $7.00 CW Transceiver Kit (40m)
- Icom IC-M73PLUS