Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
Please note that there is no World Multi-Operator category, and that Island Multi-Operator stations must follow rules on band changes and Run/Multiplier identification. Visit the IOTA Contest Section for previous results, record scores, trophy list and online log submis... Read more
- W-SDRX1 High Performance SDR Receiver
- Kenwood TH-D74 – RX in 7MHz SSB Video
- QSO Today Ep 58 – Chuck Adams – K7QO – CW at 145 WPM
- Amateur Radio Mesh Network Brought into Mix as Volunteers Assist in South African Fire Disaster
- ARRL – Teachers Institute Overview
- HAARP 2 Meter Antenna Review By M0OGY
- Field Day Flashback : 100 Watts and a Wire: Episode 51
- ARRL Tells FCC to Restore Balance of Modes on 80 and 75 Meters
- Alinco DR-735 announced at Dayton 2015
- DogparkSDR Version 1.07 released
- Elecraft KPA500 Compact 160-6 M Solid State Amplifier
- RT-9000E SOFTWARE-DEFINED HF SSB/ISB RADIO
- CrankIR Series Antenna Vertical
- Sylvan Grove Hospital gets new ham station ( WX4BCA )
- The X7 Triband Yagi – Cushcraft
- 49th Contest VOLTA RTTY
- Emergency Preparedness DC Power Pack by VE6AB
- A $38.99 RTL-SDR with 100 Khz – 1.7 GHz coverage
- US 600 Meter Experimenters, Canadian Amateurs Take Part in Berlin Treaty Event
- LD-5 HF Ham Radio QRP Transceiver – Tech Review
- Nevada ARES Team Honored
- M0PAN – Radio fanatic vows to erect 30ft mast even though neighbours say it affects their pacemakers
- New Jersey Radio Amateur Receives International Astronomical League’s Gold Certification
- Airspy HF+ and SpyServer streaming FFT and Audio data to an Android watch
- Practically Free DIY WiFi Antennas
- Nuts and Volts Magazine Launches New Ham Radio Column by Ward Silver, N0AX
- Day 1 with the ICOM IC-7610
- Third spaceflight for astronaut Paolo Nespoli IZ0JPA
- INRAD Microphones – 2017 Dayton Hamvention
- Interesting facts about Samuel Morse and the Morse code
- A Radio with No Analogue Parts ?
- DARPA’s dream: vacuum tubes from 3-D printers
- VK9WA Middle Island Willis Islands
- 50W Full Duty Cycle Digital Repeater – FR5200H / FR6200H IDAS VHF/UHF Digital Repeaters
- The Leopard Military Radio – 1.6 – 170 MHz
- EL2DW Liberia