Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
This authoritative book on shortwave propagation is your source for easy-to-understand information on sunspot activity, propagation predictions, unusual propagation effects and do-it-yourself forecasting tips! Buy: Link Read more
- Icom Provide Details of ID-4100E D-STAR VHF/UHF Mobile Radio
- Ham Radio Deluxe 18.104.22.1685 Released
- JARL 90th Anniversary Award
- Three ELaNa CubeSats delivered to Space Station
- Another Outstanding Year for Amateur Radio Licensing!
- All WX Solar Powered Amateur Radio Field Station Update 01
- RT9K/0 – Dobrzhanskogo , AS-203
- ARRL Announces 2018 Teachers Institutes on Wireless Technology Sessions
- EchoLink App for IOS8
- MFJ 2015 Catalog
- Revolutionary two-way radio for smartphones set to launch in 2016
- PandwaRF Bare
- The September edition of Digital QST
- A New Way to compare HF antennas
- Icom IC-R9500 ( 0.005–3335MHz )
- Araucaria VHF Contest is Back!
- Climbing to the top of a 1700 foot tall tower to change a light bulb
- ColibriNANO Direct Sampling HF/6M receiver [ User Manual ]
- Could LED Street Lights Drown Out Ham Radio Signals?
- Solar Storm Forecast 02-04-2015
- Steel Slinky Dipole Antenna 10 to 80 meters band
- FCC Updates Notice on Amateur Radio Operation in CEPT Countries
- Improving 160 and 80 meter antenna performance by W3LPL
- Hamvention Setting Space Aside to Spotlight Emergency Communication Vehicles
- K8XS – JK Antennas Stack [ Video ]
- Alpha 9500 Autotune Full Legal Limit Linear Amplifier
- The February Edition of Digital QST
- Two element QUAD antenna Model RQ-26H
- Morse Code – Principles and Basic Techniques (US Army Signal)
- Ham Radio Gaining New Support in Digital Era [ FOX News ]
- DXplorer system providing facilities for on-air antenna system testing and comparison
- Wellbrook 1530LNPro vs ALA1530S+ Imperium Loop Antennas
- ARRL VEC Conducts First-Ever Amateur Radio Licensing Exam Session in Cambodia
- G1 (MINOR) GEOMAGNETIC STORMS LIKELY ON 23 APRIL 2016
- Your QRP Signal May Be Louder Than You Think!
- VHF/UHF antenna polarization and testing