Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
HF Active Loop Antenna The Cross Country Wireless HF Active Loop Antenna is a compact receiving loop with a frequency range of 200 kHz to 70 MHz with extended coverage up to 148 MHz. The antenna can be for all LF, MW and HF professional monitoring and short wave listeni... Read more
- Radio operators help at Two Rivers Bike Ride event
- SteppIR DB11 Yagi Antenna ( 6 m to 20 m )
- World’s Best Hobby
- Chameleon -P-Loop Review Magnetic Loop Shootout Pt 1 – K6UDA Radio Episode 29
- Ham Radio From a Moving Train
- True spirit of Amateur Radio [ Video ]
- Unboxing and Testing the BaofengTech UV-5X3 Triband HT
- RECENT RS-689 10 Watts Tri Band Handheld Radio
- The Dawn of Digital Communications in the Amateur Radio World
- Helvetia Contest 2017
- TH-D74 – Kenwood – APRS & D-STAR
- Can you hear SamSat-218D ?
- Kuala Lumpur Tower
- Transmit Radio Signals with Raspberry PI
- Rotator Controller RT-21 Azimuth/Elevation
- Tech Tip: RS-232 – USB Adapter Cables
- Bhutan DXpedition- A5
- CQ Magazine – August 2015
- Weather radios prepare for severe weather by ABC TV
- Radio Amateur first to pick up Titanic’s distress call
- The K7RA Solar Update 07/24/2015
- Ultra-Portable Antenna Rotor System
- Solar Storm Forecast 01-04-2015
- CubeSat’s Radio Interference Mission
- Live Contest Scores !
- The K7RA Solar Update
- Elecraft KX2 number 00081 makes it to Mount Herman
- Kids Day is Saturday, June 18
- Ten-Tec Century-21 Transceiver QSO
- Remote Vacuum Relay Switch, RK-314
- Researchers Decode CASSIOPE Satellite Field Day Fly-Over Experiment Results
- Amateur Radio Emergency Frequencies for Earthquake Response in Italy
- Robust radio stations for crisis areas
- Girl Scouts and Guides “Thinking Day on the Air” Generates Enthusiasm for Ham Radio
- Mountain Dew Commercial that has a Ham Radio twist to it [ Video ]
- A powerful analyzer KC901S RF Multimeter with vector antenna analysis function