Photo by : Daryll Thompson VE3LFN
Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
by:Dan Maloney Newly minted hams like me generally find themselves asking, “What now?” after getting their tickets. Amateur radio has a lot of different sub-disciplines, ranging from volunteering for public service gigs to contesting, the closest thing the... Read more
- 5H3MB Tanzania
- Cisco Network Emergency Response Vehicle [ Video ]
- TAJFUN 1000 50 MHz – 1KW
- New Horizons Phones Home
- Advanced USB Oscilloscope 50Mhz
- REVIEW: Connect Systems CS800 DMR mobile radio by VE3XPR
- 4-Radio 8-Antenna Switch – Array Solutions
- Antenna Fire Puts SAQ Alexanderson Alternator Station Off the Air
- Fred Lloyd, AA7BQ – of QRZ.COM interviewed by Tim Duffy, K3LR at DX Engineering
- New Kenwood Web Site!
- W1AW Announces Field Day Bulletin Schedule
- FR/OH2YL Réunion Island AF-016
- CQ MM DX Contest 2017
- What is LogView ?
- CloudSDR just released two programmes compatible with SDRPlay devices
- VGC VR-6600PRO
- HANK HILL AS A HAM RADIO OPERATOR?
- Hytera & Siemens shake hands
- Robust radio stations for crisis areas
- Nifty app uses Morse code to send Apple Watch messages
- IOTA Directory – 50th Anniversary Edition
- The K1N Story – Navassa isl
- AmateurLogic’s Ham College episode 8
- QSO Today EPISODE 046 – TONY PARKS – KB9YIG SoftRock SDR creator
- Radio Amateur first to pick up Titanic’s distress call
- Amateur Radio Volunteers Needed to Support Marine Corps Marathon
- Surprise Operation from North Korea; More Possible in February
- ANTENNA ANALYZER , 1-60MHZ – MFJ 223
- ICOM ID-4100A – Terminal Mode and Access Point Mode
- A Teardown and Voice Guidence of the Kenwood TH-D74
- ALFASPID BIG RING-01 ANTENNA ROTATORS (ROHN 45 / 55)
- FT5XO Kerguelen DXpedition
- EchoLink for iOS version 2.2 is now available
- Amateur Radio Emergency Service Transitioning to New Online Reporting System
- Amateur Radio Survey 2015 – RSGB
- 2017 BaoFeng DMR Upgraded Version! BaoFeng DM-5R PLUS Dual Band DMR Digital Radio 2000mAH