Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
The winning article for the September 2016 QST Cover Plaque award is “Arduino CW Trainer” by Tom Lewis, N4TL. The QST Cover Plaque Award — given to the author or authors of the most popular article in each issue — is determined by a vote of ARRL members on t... Read more
- How Repeaters Work ?
- BAOFENG UV-82 Dual Band Handheld Transceiver Radio Walkie Talkie
- Kenwood TH-D74 APRS & DSTAR Radio [ Video ] – English Version
- Mobile Portable Ham Radio Survival
- Keep legal on 5MHz
- Real-time band conditions
- NVIS Antennas by Hi-Q Antennas 2-30 MHz
- KC6MTO – Benicia Police honor Volunteer of the Decade
- Receiving a Gmail email over HF radio with Winlink system
- Ham Radio: The First Social Network [Video] TV Show
- Extreme Ham Radio Mobile Above UHF – K4RSV
- YJ0MT – Vanuatu
- Judge allows RadioShack to keep 1,700 stores open
- ISS HamTV now transmitting on 2395 MHz
- Win an FT-991 in the 2016 Dayton Game!
- Another great choice to boost your Radio Signal
- llegal GPS sea buoys on 10 meters Band ( 28 MHz )
- Introducing the NEW BCS-200 Speaker Mic by BridgeCom Systems:
- Hamvention Awards – 2016
- Multiple Stations on One Antenna
- Measuring Propagation Attenuation Using a Quadcopter
- Introduction to the IP Advanced Radio System by ICOM
- Webinar – Solar Topics – Where We’re Headed by K9LA
- Radiowavz Sentinel Expedition Hex Beam
- Anytone TERMN-8R Dual Band (VHF/UHF) Analog Portable Two-Way Radio
- New Ofcom website portal
- DU3500AL Automatic Tuner by HA8DU
- ARRL Amateur Radio Technician Class Training Course
- Transmission Line Calculator by AA3RL
- Flex 6600 Hamvention 2017 [ Video Demonstration ]
- Icom Inc. Announce Dates for D-STAR QSO Party 2017
- That’s not an Ofcom email about your radio licence – it’s a TROJAN
- More Countries Join the Growing 60-Meter Community
- Ham Radio Operators Serve As ‘Eyes On The Ground’ When Severe Weather Hits
- DG7YBN / Ant.-Soft / Antenna Modelling Software
- Hamvention to boost Greene County economy by multi millions