Every day is a good day to operate on CW, but set some time aside on New Year’s Eve and Day to enjoy Straight Key Night (SKN). The annual event gets under way a 000 UTC on January 1 (New Year’s Eve in US time zones). The 24 hour event is not a contest but a day dedicated to celebrating our CW heritage. Participants are encouraged to get on the air and simply make enjoyable, conversational CW contacts, preferably using a straight (hand) key or a semi-automatic key (bug). Activity traditionally centers on CW segments in the HF bands. There are no points or obligatory exchange. The only requirement is just to have fun!
Send your SKN list of stations work and your votes for “Best Fist” and “Most Interesting QSO” by January 31.
Concurrent with the ARRL Straight Key Night, AMSAT will hold its own SKN on OSCAR 2015, this year dedicated to the memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA, who died in 2011. Operate CW through any amateur satellite from on New Year’s Day 2016, using a manual (ie, non-electronic) key. No log is necessary, but AMSAT also asks for “Best Fist” nominees via e-mail to Ray Soifer, W2RS.
Stevenson, who was licensed in 1929, was one of the world’s top DXers on HF and satellites and held Satellite DXCC No 1. He was the founding president of the North Jersey DX Association.
FlexRadio FlexRadio Systems announces the immediate availability of SmartSDR v1.5.0 for the FLEX-6000 Signature Series SDRs which includes the new Wideband Noise Blanker (WNB) to complement the previously enhanced Noise Reduction (NR) and Automatic Notch Filter (ANF). ... Read more
- Icom RS-BA1 IP Remote Control Software
- DX News — ARRL DX Bulletin #25:
- Design The Next AMSAT Satellite!
- The BT1500A Antenna Tuner – Palstar
- 8 EL. DELTA LOOP 144 MHz (144DL8) – SMARTECH
- ALL ASIAN DX CONTEST Rules 2014
- INRAD RX7300- New receive antenna socket for IC 7300
- Ham Radio to Cell Phone Communications
- Hurricane Watch Net Sets On-Air Anniversary Celebration
- G1 (MINOR) GEOMAGNETIC STORMS LIKELY ON 23 APRIL 2016
- Field Day music video
- VK9WA Willis Island – Update
- DXplorer system providing facilities for on-air antenna system testing and comparison
- That’s not an Ofcom email about your radio licence – it’s a TROJAN
- DARC 10m Contest
- S79OWZ Seychelles AF-024
- Bhutan DXpedition- A5
- Harbor Freight Solar Panel for Ham Radio [ Video ]
- Amateur Radio Emergency Service Springs into Action to Assist in New Mexico Wildfire Emergency
- Unboxes the NEW Yaesu FT-891
- Ham Nation 196 : A Sneak Peek at Dayton
- Big Wheel Antenna for 2m, 70cm and 6m
- The Random Wire Double Zepp Antenna
- ARRL Invites Nominations For 2015 International Humanitarian Award
- SOTA – Kids rule the Mic
- Why an Amateur Radio Operator is called a HAM by WD4BIS
- What is legal, and what is NOT legal for our Chinese radios
- Foundation for Amateur Radio Invites Scholarship Applications
- Okmulgee County – HAM Radio Operators Ready To Help In Emergencie
- VP5S VP5/K0MD VP5/K4IU VP5/W0BM VP5/AC0W Turks and Caicos Islands
- Signal Identification Guide
- International Call Sign Handbook : Government/Military Edition
- KC0YQF Makes Mountain Goat
- Yaesu FT-991 [ New Video ]
- 9 year old KM4IPF in CQ WPX SSB 2016 [ Video ]
- SN4KIDS – Hams for Kids