Icom A220 – Air to Ground Panel Mount Transceiver
Icom’s A220 panel mount transceiver is a popular fit with experimental and light sport pilots. The TSO approved version will work for all certified part 23 aircraft. This ground to air transceiver has the capability to work on both 8.33 kHz and 25 kHz channel spacing frequencies. It features the brightest OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display on the market offering many advantages in brightness, vividness, high contrast, wide viewing angle and response time compared to a conventional display. The A220 also features a built in 2 station intercom, 12 or 24 volt compatible, automatic squelch and GPS memory function.
|118.000-136.992MHz plus 161.650-163.275 weather channel|
|20 regular, 50 group, 10 GPS, 10 weather & 20 auto stack memory|
|Mobile mount or mount in power supply|
|Radio without TSO approval
Radio with TSO approval
AA TSO certification
The A220 TSO version meets RTCA-160G requirements for use in strict environments. This A220 version can be used for a primary VHF radio in general aviation (part 23) class aircraft. The A220 TSO version is also accepted for ETSO approval under the TSO/ETSO reciprocal acceptance policy.
- For information on what qualifies as a Part 23 aircraft go to the FAA site.
- Environmental Qualification Form
- The A220 TSO version can only be serviced by Icom America Inc. All repairs or adjustment must be performed by Icom America as per the TSO approval requirements.
High visibility & readability
The OLED emits light from organic materials, so a display backlight is not required. It provides an extremely higher contrast and a very wide viewing angle of almost 180 degrees. In addition, the OLED display is set close to the front panel. Well laid out characters help identify important information like operating frequencies. White characters on a black background show clear easy to read operating information. With white key backlighting, the white OLED display matches modern plane’s instrument panel. In addition, the auto dimmer function adjusts the display for optimum brightness at day or night.
The A220’s display has a wide active area, so operating frequencies’ characters can be maximized in the display, while operating status can be shown on both top and bottom. The A220’s OLED can display 4-level gray scale from darker gray to bright white and increases readability. This gradation is used, for example, in showing selected items in the settings menu.
Easy channel selection
It’s fast and easy to select any of memory channels in the A220. The “flip-flop” arrow button switches between main and stand-by channels. The dualwatch function allows you to monitor two channels simultaneously. In addition, the auto stack memory stores the last 20 channels used and allows you to recall those channels easily. All switch buttons and knobs are illuminated with pure-white backlighting that is the same color as the OLED display.
- Automatic squelch function detects the signal level and automatically adjusts the squelch level
- Built-in voice activated intercom function allows pilot and co-pilot to talk via the headset
- Connect the A220 to an external GPS
- Built-in DC-DC converter accepts a 12/24V DC power source
- Automatic weather channel scanning and receive
- Dualwatch and priority watch functions
- One touch access to 121.5 MHz emergency frequency
- Side tone function for monitoring your voice with headset
- ANL (Automatic noise limiter) function reduces pulse type noise
- Remote control capability
- Dial lock and panel lock
- Slim 34mm (1.34 inch) height can be installed in a limited panel space
- D-Sub 25-pin industry standard connector for easy installation
- Two types of menu mode; settings menu and configuration menu
General Frequency coverage
Rx Wx channels
Mode AM (6K00A3E, 5K60A3E) Frequency spacing 8.33kHz/25kHz Frequency stability ±5ppm Operating Temperature -20°C to +55°C Antenna impedeance 50Ω No. of memory channels 20 regular memory,
50 group memory,
20 auto stack memory
Power supply requirement 13.8V/27.5V DC (Negative ground) Dimensions (W×H×D)
(projections not included)
160×34×271 mm; 6.3×1.34×10.67 in Weight (approx.) 2.2 lb Transmitter Output power 8 W typical (carrier power) Spurious emission –60dBc Modulation limiting 70% (Maximum 98%) Microphone impedance 600Ω Receiver Intermediate frequencies 38.85MHz/450kHz (1st/2nd) Sensitivity
Less than 2μV
Less than 1.4μV
±3kHz/±22kHz (6dB/60dB)±2.778kHz/±7.37kHz (6dB/60dB) Spurious rejection More than 74dBμ Audio output power
5W with a 4Ω load60mW with a 500Ω load
Measurements made in accordance with RTCA DO-186B for USA version. All stated specifications are and subject to change without notice or obligation.
- TSO Product Brochure
- TSO Instruction Manual
- Non-TSO Product Brochure
- Non-TSO Instruction Manual
- Hi-Resolution Image
Applicable U.S. Military Standards
Standard MIL 810 G Method Proc Low Pressure 500.5 I, II High Temp. 501.5 I,II Low Temp. 502.5 I, II Temperature Shock 503.5 I-C Solar Radiation 505.5 I Humidity 507.5 II Vibration 514.6 I Shock 516.6 I
Also meets equivalent MIL-STD-810-C, -D, -E and -F.
- Mounting bracket kit
Rear panel view