There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
Baofeng UV-5R Hello all! K5CLC here to share a really crazy and extreme field test I did on my year old Baofeng UV5R, to test its merit under the most... Read more
BaoFeng DM-5R DMR Digital Radio VHF/UHF 136-174/400-480Mhz 2000mAH High Capacity Battery High Power/Low power 21CM Dual Band Antenna 8-Level Stepped F... Read more
3D animation by Jeremy Cleaveland, KE0CGU Read more
Source:ARRL.org As more and more communications equipment designs have adopted digital signal processing techniques, Rockwell Collins has annou... Read more
A 10-YEAR-old girl from a Llanelli radio station is making waves across the country. Holly Thomas has become one of the youngest people across the UK... Read more
The just-concluded run of ionospheric investigations conducted from Alaska’s High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) observatory — quit... Read more
Amplifier, HT, VHF, Solid State, 144-148 MHz, 3/50 W In, 200/200 W Out, UHF Fem, SO-239, 13.8 Vdc, 25 A, Each Add this amp to your 2 Meter HTor mobile... Read more
This is an unboxing and first look at the Wouxun KG-UV9D Plus dual band Limited Edition radio available Read more