There are a lot of home brew SDR-related projects on the internet at the moment. I believe the key features of this project are:
- Small but conventional radio form-factor with tuning knob AND NO PC
- A clear graphical display with S meter and real-time band-scope/waterfall (very high update-rate makes the radio a pleasure to use)
- Smooth DDS tuning with steps down to 10Hz (optical shaft encoder)
- All mode operation with excellent SSB and CW filtering (NOT double-sideband) and a decent AGC
- There are no analogue components to adjust or align, so if built correctly the radio ‘will just work’
- Based on a very low cost, commercial CPU / Display board
- Cost of major parts is about £80 (UK) assuming stuff like a case, knobs, speaker, audio amp etc can be found ‘in the junk box’.
Please bear in mind that this project will require soldering of 0603-size SMD components and a couple of fine-pitched ICs (see photo of radio PCB below).
Please contact me at moc.dlrowltn@321ylbmit (reversed) or via qrz.com for information on getting a partial kit for the radio board. The parts kit comprises >90% of the passives, some of the ICs (3V3 regulator, the 26MHz TCXO and the ADC) and a PCB. (Note the PCB is now a proper 2-layer manufactured board with plated through VIAs, solder mask and silk screen. See here) Additional build documentation will be sent out by email and this includes the buying list for the remaining parts.
I am getting lots of email, so please check the FAQ before posting questions, thanks.
There is a failrly detailed walk-through of the radio and its features on YouTube here. There is also an older and less structured video here and various videos at the bottom of this page. (Please allow for the low bandwidth of my internet link!) Also see www.qrz.com/db/G0ETP
Flex Radio’s Power Genius – HF Amplifier Read more
YL Raisa introduces how to spell Russian Callsigns during a QSO Read more
Ranko 4O3A has taken antenna switches into the 21st century! Antenna Genius 8×2 is the first in a new antenna switch line from 4O3A Signature sit... Read more
Antenna, Beam, Skylark, Duoband Yagi, 17 and 12 meters, 90 mph Wind Rating, 16 ft. Boom Length, Each HF Beam Antenna Type:Yagi HF Beam Antenn... Read more
Stealth 2 Meter Copper J-Pole for your HOA – AF5DN 0 Read more
Time and frequency standard station WWV silenced its 25 MHz signal in 1977, but it returned to the air on an “experimental basis” a year ago, a... Read more
In a recent ceremony, two Winlink development team members were awarded the Military Department of Tennessee Adjutant General’s Distinguished Patriot... Read more
Here we take a look at the procedure to update an Airspy R2 SDR receiver. https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_firmware/wiki Read more
RADIODDITY GD-AT10G | 10W UHF | DUAL-MODE | ANALOG & DIGITAL DMR TIER I & II | GPS APRS FUNCTION | COLOR SCREEN
10W/5W/2.5W/1W Selectable: The Radioddity GD-AT10G is a powerful handheld radio with a compact design, featuring selectable output power of 10W/5... Read more