BaoFeng Buys Tokyo High Power Labs
Quietly, without much fanfare, BaoFeng (the marketing name for PoFung Technologies) has purchased the remaining assets from the holding administrator representing Tokyo High Power Labs.
This acquisition, completed just before the end of 2014, signals the entry of BaoFeng into the HF radio market. This was discussed in detail on QRZ.
RUMORED NEW PRODUCTS
In recent weeks, Factual Amateur Radio Technology Services have learned of a product roadmap for both amplifiers and a new HF transceiver. We’re still gathering details, but what we’ve learned so far includes:
- Three New HF Amplifiers, modeled after Tokyo High Power Labs models.
- Three New HF Transceivers, with features to delight even the most critical of operators
- A new remote base protocol
Details are still a little sketchy, but the rumored HF Transceivers are reportedly being labeled:
- BaoFeng Hurricane (SDR with knobs, 250 watt all band transceiver)
- BaoFeng Tornado (SDR with knobs, 400 watt all band transceiver)
- BaoFeng Tsunami (SDR no front panel, 100 watt all band transceiver)
The rumored pricing suggests BaoFeng intends to dominate the HF Transceiver market in a similar fashion that they have supplanted the VHF and UHF handheld world. We could not verify at this moment, but the suggested retail price for the Tsunami is $180.00 US!
MORE DETAILS TO COME
Watch this site for further information and potentially some prototype photos!
Photo Credit: Bill Hammond, AK5X The XG3 RF Signal Source is a powerful programmable signal source that fits in the palm of your hand. Miniature RF s... Read more
Ham Radio Deluxe Updated Fixes and New Features Fault on connection with IP logging enabled – fixed Norton 360 – fixed LOTW upload and dow... Read more
“A story in the Pacific Missourian about attempts to get a ham radio repeater installed in Pacific as part of the city’s emergency commun... Read more