Each year as ARRL Field Day approaches, state and local governments traditionally take advantage of the opportunity to honor Amateur Radio in the form of various proclamations. This list of those that took part is not necessarily comprehensive.
- In Alabama, Governor Kay Ivey proclaimed June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week.” A delegation of radio amateurs from around the state were on hand as Governor Ivey signed the proclamation.
- In Idaho, Governor C.L. “Butch” Otter has proclaimed June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week.” The proclamation declares that Amateur Radio has proved its relevance in the modern world by providing emergency communications when other system failed in the wake of hurricanes and other disasters.
- In Massachusetts, at the urging of State Senator Bruce Tarr, N1UIU, Massachusetts Governor Charles Baker signed a proclamation declaring June 24 as “Amateur Radio Day” in the Bay State.
- In South Carolina, Governor Henry McMaster has declared the week of June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week.” He encouraged South Carolinians to recognize radio amateurs for “their many contributions, including emergency communications and other public service work, to the continued safety of the residents of the Palmetto State.”
- In the state of Washington, Governor Jay Inslee proclaimed the week of June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week,” encouraging recognition of the importance of Amateur Radio operators, “on whom we can rely during emergencies or disasters within the state.”
- The Orange Park, Florida, Town Council designated June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week,” recognizing Amateur Radio’s role in furthering international goodwill as well as its public service in disasters, emergencies, and during public events.
- The Town Board of Cicero, New York, recognized the Liverpool Amateur Radio Club for its “fundamental role in disaster communications” for the town. The Town Board cited LARC’s participation in Field Day at William Park on Field Day weekend.
- The City Council of Goose Creek, South Carolina, proclaimed June 17 – 23 as “Amateur Radio Week.” Mayor Greg Habib said radio amateurs “further demonstrate their value in public assistance by providing free radio communications for local events.”
- The City of Midland, Michigan, proclaimed June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week” in that community, recognizing “the efforts of ham radio operators, especially during times of emergency.” Mayor Maureen Donker presented Midland Amateur Radio Club President Al Bailey with the proclamation on June 11 during a City Council meeting.
- The Volusia County, Florida, County Council has designated June 17 – 24 as “CQ Florida Amateur Radio Week,” honoring Amateur Radio generally and the group CQ Florida in particular. The Council urged residents to honor Amateur Radio operators “for providing a bridge between peoples, societies and countries by creating friendships and sharing information.”
- In Ohio, the Hancock County Commission designated June 18 – 24 as “Amateur Radio Week,” noting that the Hancock AuxComm Team will host a Field Day event at Clarke Field in Newell.
More than 1,400 clubs and groups in the US and Canada have let ARRL know of their plans to be on the air for Field Day by registering their locations on the Field Day locator page.
“Are you looking for a fun and easy antenna project? The 1/4 ground plane might be just the ticket. This particular ground plane is constructed... Read more
Alinco EDX-2 Automatic Random-Length Antenna Tuners are designed to work with select Alinco HF transceivers. These antenna tuners may be used for non-... Read more
These tests show that the signal strength of a local station can be many tens of decibels weaker than from a DX station. For the last several years I... Read more
“Hello Ham Radio Ops, K5ACL from SignalSearch here with another Antenna comparison/testing video using the Weak Signal Propagation Reporter (WSP... Read more
Here is a brand new device for your digital radio pleasure. The Nano-Spot from Micro-Node.com features all 4 modes, Wifi and a “set it and forge... Read more
FlexRadio Systems and Marcus Roskosch, DL8MRE announced today a partnership to develop, market and sell a client interface application for both iPad®... Read more
The ARRL Repeater Directory ® — introduced this week for 2015-2016 — has a newly launched companion app for Apple® iOS® devices. iPhone®, iPad®... Read more
Icom Co., Ltd. will hold a free event “Icom amateur radio festival in Akihabara 2017” at the Akihabara Convention Hall in front of JR Akih... Read more
“We have survived Hurricane Irma.” That assessment came this morning from ARRL West Central Florida (WCF) Section Manager Darrell Davis, KT4WX, who re... Read more
WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- The Columbus Amateur Radio Club held an event that was full of fun for those who... Read more
The FCC has granted an ARRL request to waive current Amateur Radio rules to permit data transmissions at a higher symbol rate than currently permitted... Read more