Whether you are a weak signal operator or a serious contester, the 8406 is the ultimate 6 M amplifier. It handles continuous duty modes like WSJT with ease, no matter how long it takes to complete your EME contact. High speed meteor scatter and other weak signal scatter modes are a lot easier with the high power from the 8406. High linearity and exceptionally clean amplification means you will be a good neighbor in crowded band conditions such as a contest or E skip opening. And when F2 propagation appears again a few years further into the sunspot cycle, you will be ready for world wide DX on all modes.
- Single 4CX1500B Tetrode providing a maximum plate dissipation of 1.5KW
- Operates on the 6 meter Amateur Radio Band 50Mhz – 54Mhz
- Comfortably delivers Full Legal Limit on the 6 meter band in All modes
- Uses our time proven Hypersil 3.5KVA transformer
- No Duty Cycle Limitation, 100% Carrier, Key Down
- Rugged Construction Built to Last
It’s the Ultimate Manual Tune Amplifier 6 meter amplifier
If you re a serious 6 meter operator, you ll like the rock solid performance that comes with this powerful, manual tune amplifier 6 meter amplifier.
Built Rock Solid, from the Chassis Up
Just like our multiband 8410, we start with a .080 , 5052 grade, iridite yellow chromate coated, aluminum chassis that resists both flex and corrosion. To it, we bolt the front panel assembly and a center partition, building a solid I beam structure that just doesn t move.
Add our custom made, time proven, Hypersil transformer that weighs a massive 35 Lbs and is capable of delivering 3,500VA of power to the plate of the Alpha 8406 tube. Input Power mains taps are easily selected for 100, 120, 200, 220, 240 VAC, and the transformer was designed to operate at 50Hz or 60Hz.
Big Robust RF Deck and Tank Pi-L Network
The Alpha 8406 utilizes an enhanced version of the RF deck found in the Alpha 8410, but instead of the 2 x 4CX1000’s, our engineers chose a single 4CX1500B.
The output circuit is made from heavy duty, silver plated, hand made, Alpha Pi-L matching network, the Alpha 8406 will operate into up to a 2:1 SWR without the need for an external antenna tuner. Carefully chosen, massive, Tune and Load capacitors both conservatively rated so they will give years of smooth performance, make sure you can tune and load this amplifier easily and accurately.
On the 8406’s scontrol board you ll find a microprocessor that allows us to normalize amplification performance, calibrate the power and gain metering, and increase reliability and durability. All of these functions aggregate into a single greater benefit for the user a rock solid, reliable 6 meter amplifier. The 8406 comes standard with USB port for remote monitoring and performance data logging.
Besides the power mains connection, there are only two required inputs to the Alpha 8406: the amp key line from the radio KEY IN , and the RF IN. All RF connectors on the Alpha 8406 are high quality teflon Type N connectors.
No need for ALC input like lesser amplifiers. The micro computing platform assures you don t damage the tube by overdriving it. The input match circuit guarantees a proper match with any standard 50 ohm output from your 6 meter transceiver.
Proudly Handcrafted in the USA
This amplifier is as rugged and reliable as anything we ve created. We buy the best components available for the Alpha 8406. Our stringent selection of even the simplest components demonstrates the commitment that we have to deliver the best, most reliable amplifier in the world.
The Alpha 8406 is finely handcrafted and is designed and built in Colorado, USA, comes with an industry leading 4 year warranty on the amplifier, and 1 year warranty on the tube, and is supported by our friendly and knowledgeable staff. We build them by hand, tune them by hand, and burn them in overnight at full power so we know that when you get your Alpha 8406, you ll have an amplifier that is the most rugged, best built in the world. It’s shipped in 2 double boxes with the transformer packed separately so there’s little chance of anything happening to it on its way from the factory to its new operating position in your shack.
- Frequency coverage: All 6 meter amateur frequencies from 50.0 54.0 MHz FCC
- Type Acceptance: DGV PA8406
- Power output: 1500 Watts minimum on all served frequencies
- SWR tolerance: 2:1
- Drive power: 50 to 55 Watts nominal for full power out
- Tube: One 4CX1500B high performance power tetrode with a combined plate dissipation of 1,500 watts provides key down performance on all frequencies, all modes, and all duty cycles.
- Cooling: Forced air
- RF Input connector: comes with a standard Teflon Type N connector.
- RF Antenna output: comes standard with a Teflon Type N connector.
- Calibrated Wattmeter: The Bruene type wattmeter accurately simultaneously measures both forward and reverse power and displays this information on the easy to read bar graph meters on the front panel. It also uses the information to simultaneously monitor the gain of the amplifier.
- Safety Mechanisms: HV Crowbar and Power Interlock.
- Tuning: Big, easy to grab load and tune knobs for the tank capacitors.
- Power: 100,120,200,220,240 VAC, 50 60 Hz, manual selection. At 240 VAC, requires 10 Amps per leg, for a total of 20 Amps. Note Although the amplifier will operate at 100V, the mains will have to be able to deliver upwards of 35 amps.
- Interface: USB. Full remote control capability.
- Protection: Protected against all common faults.
- Display: Bar graphs display Forward Power both instantaneous and PEP , Reflected Power, Plate Current, Plate Voltage, and Gain. Also, the 8406 displays normal and overdriven Grid Current.
- T/R switching: A single vacuum relay on the output enabling QSK full break-in at QRO full power.
- Bypass: capability 200 Watts.
- Shipping Weight: 90 Lbs, Assembled weight 76 Lbs
- Product Size: 17.5 w x 7.5 h x 19.75 d
- Standard Shipping Packaging: We ship the amplifier in a double box, and the transformer in a separate box.
Alpha 8406 User Manual (2014)
USB COM port (FTDI) drivers
Alpha 8406 Firmware Loading Instructions
AE9K 8410/8406 Monitor Program Installation and Firmware Loading Instructions
Alpha 8406 Firmware v2.03k (latest version)
Alpha Colt Boot Loader
Alpha 8406 Schematics
Alpha 8406 Parts List
Alpha 8406 Commands & Returns
Alpha 8406 User Manual (2010)
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has just announced the five dollar, micro-sized Raspberry Pi Zero . We take a look at what’s on the board and put it... Read more
Amateur Radio volunteers are urgently needed to assist with communications during the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Walkon Saturday, May... Read more
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE OM4000 HF POWER AMPLIFIER The linear amplifier OM4000 HF is designed for all short wave amateur bands from 1.8 till... Read more
“CQ’s November issue is a mini contest special . . . with plenty for the non-contester as well! We start with a behind-the-scenes look at... Read more
by NATHAN PAYNE Traverse City Record-Eagle Posted on May 10, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Ed Eklin is into a little different... Read more
By San Francisco Chronicle A massive solar eruption is about to hit Earth, and the resulting northern lights could be spectacular just before New Year... Read more
BARTG HF RTTY This contest will take place 0200z Saturday 21st March 2015 until 0200z Monday 23rd March 2015. A list of logs received for this contest... Read more